Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
inbetween catching fish today i noticed this object floating near the shore. i could tell it was a fish. it looks to me to be a sturgeon, about 5ft. long, something took a big bite out of it from what i could tell.
is this unusual for this kind of a fish to be near the mouth of the savannah river?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yeah it looks bit up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
here in VA on the james boats hit them all the time and once in a wile they find there way on to somebody's cat bait. There in a legend around here i have herd 2 or 3 times it is that a sturgeon jumped out of the water and landed on a fisherman and they had to get the fire department to use a jack to get the fish off him and i have also herd that there is a photo going around of a sturgeon jumping over somebody's boat it is called photo shop idiot lol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd guess a boat prop...doesn't really look like a bite. I would not be surprised by an encounter with a boat since they often cruise and "sun" themselves on the surface sometimes putting on a cool show.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
There are sturgeon in the river there. Did you report it to the DNR? They would have been interested in that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts