Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No dice on the drum this week but on the way out I lucked into something else. We swung past the beach road to see how bad the damage was around the Black Pelican. Walking over the buckled roadbed I notice a trout fisherman running toward me and casting. Only 20' out the water was boiling with black footballs launching into the air, tails slicing the water.

You don't realize what terrible shape you're in till you have to run for your life. Back at the truck I was frantically digging through pillows and packed bags and post-vacation detritus to find a stingsilver and a casting rod. Once I was back on the beach I started doing the back-and-forth shuffle to throw behind the school then rip the stingsilver back through them. When I finally bowed up...damn. I hadn't tied into one of these fish in years and never out of the surf. I'd forgotten how powerful they are on light tackle. I left them biting because it was lunchtime and I was getting the stinkeye from my better half. At the Brew Station now having fried flounder, wishing I didn't have to go home.

Fish Fish Bony-fish Fin Ray-finned fish

Water Reflection Rope Recreation Adventure

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stinkin' iphone keeps flipping photos :D All week long these guys had been taunting me up north, staying well out of casting distance. I'm not exaggerating when I say they were right at the freaking shorebreak. Never seen them that close. I was in jeans and tennis shoes and still only barely had to flip the lure out in front to hit the fish. Even the trout fishermen with little light jigs that could barely make it out 30' were getting in on the action.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Way to go Matt!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Saw them all week last week when I was down from Wed to Sat. Were just out of casting reach until Sat morning. Saw some same as you said, about 20' from shore. They were just down the beach from me, and at least 10 guys went running after them, so I stayed put. Saw a couple of hook ups that all broke off. Very exciting! I was about a mile south of the Black Pelican.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm jealous. I am dying to tangle with 1. They keep showing up on the DE shore but never where I am. I'm hoping this weekend I get lucky before they are all gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts