Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the wind gods have conspired against my offshore plans for several weeks now but finally we found a break in the weather and made a run for some of the wrecks in our area. This trip the plan was to freedive spearfish and give a friends boat a test run after being put up for over two months. We made it to some of the wrecks in the area and were greeted with swarms of mackerel. Schools numbered from 50 to several hundred fish and included king, cero and spanish macks. One in our group also managed a 36" cobia. The captain of our crew saw a group of 4-5 permit with fish in the 30-40lb range. With all the free floating crabs in the water we knew we would see them but they eluded capture due mostly to the fact that visibility was poor (10-15ft) at best.

Conditions are very sharky right now and we lost at least one kingfish to a frisky bull in the 300lb range. On a bad note our friends starter motor decided to call it quits and just as we were ready to change spots we were dead in the water. Called the towboat and waited patiently with a cooler full of fish. Just as our towboat arrived we noticed something holding under a piece of flotsam. It was a very large tripletail. Since we were on federal waters I decided to jump in and take a shot at landing the fish. The effort paid off and I was rewarded with a personal best for that species.

PS I was also snook fishing in Jensen Beach (the causeway) on Friday 11-21-08 and the bite was "redunkulous" caught six fish, two of which were keeper sized. This one came home for supper. Went again the following night and it was a total dud...no wind, tons of bait but you couldn't buy a bite.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Awesome catch Fin, that tail is a pig! I was out yesterday loading up on bait for this week and heard about the number of cobia around, but no kings. Wouldnt mind getting one on light tackle. We had a crucial bite this afternoon that smoked us on our 50W but came unbuttoned. Heading out in the morning with a pen full of runners hoping to do some damage. Good luck if you head out again this week, hope to see you out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts