Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Metapeake and SPSP are relatively close but which is best for Stripers. I know from experience that you can catch them at both but never really paid attention to which place produces the best. I also know that I have caught the biggest at Metapeake. Help.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well I would think SPSP, only because there is more area to fish and more structure to fish. Both can be slow at times during the summer. Matapeake is pretty shallow. SPSP is too but if you can get it out past the first sandbar there is a nice channel and when the tide is moving you will get into some fish. I haven't fished Matapeake but 1 time this spring so just my .03 :cool:

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
This time of year...

I would rate them both about the same - fair. Both are excellent in the Spring and Fall...I would lean towards Matapeake in the Spring as probably the best spot of the two that I have seen---although lots of good reports on SPSP during the Spring rush too..

I prefer Matapeake at night...

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah it is hard to really compare the two. Matapeake is a pier and spsp is a beach. Two total different types of fishing. If you are a pier person than that is the place to go. If not than spsp should suffice the surf fisherman in you:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good question, and great answers!

The pier vs. beach is a good point in terms of style (and manuever room). CBB traffic is another consideration.

The two sides of the Bay are vastly different. It varies by season and year and also by wind direction/velocity and also by rainfall and sediment making for murky waters.

I fished Matapeake when it was wood. I've lived on the Island for the last eight years. I'm partial to all of the Eastern Shore having lived in Kiptopeke in the 1960's. I lived in Anne Arundel County for about 25 years in between and spent a lot of time at SPSP and Podickory Point YC. I'm legitimately a fan of both.

My belief is that rock follow the bait. I don't care if the depth is 2 feet along the riprap the rock will come to get lunch. So type of bait is just as important as location and casting distance.

Sandy bottom or hard blottom- crabs, clams and always eel and fresh Alewife! And of course the artificials too.

Local knowledge note: at the end of the Matapeake Pier (before it angles right to the very end segment) is the remnants of the old wood pier pilings. It's structure. There are bait fish there. To the left is some clam bottom. And crab grounds are everywhere. The posts you see in the water are pound nets for alewife. Eels are all over. There are some trout by the shoreline seawall. In the summer there are flounder and occasional drum. Blues and rock are the mainstay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your inputs. I plan on taking a trip during the week to one of them with the hopes of catching a nice rock to stuff for my moms bday, we have a cookout for her every year. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like Matapeake at night caught alot of trout on cut bait(herring) blues and even flounder,there is a channel about 200 - 300ft. out from the left corner(before the turn to the right) I use a 12ft. rod in that corner. Good luck. TRIGGER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts