Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just subcribed to Stripers Forever and I encorage others to do the same.It was up to me the whole year should be Catch and Release Season for Stripers in 2004.Who's with me

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
A couple of things you need to consider.......

Stripers left unchecked will further deplete the stock of blue crabs. They are more vulnerable since the bay grasses have been decimated... :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
OH come on pap just about everyone likes a good striper sandwich.
Now I do think the size and creel limits should change
perhaps to match the red drum one fish between 18-27
and allow 1-2 trophy tags a year per angler for fish over

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Rad has a point. The rebound of striper populations has been a major contributor to the decline of blue crabs.

As the bunker population has crashed because of commercial overfishing, the stripers have had to scavenge and have decimated the blue crabs in the process.

We've created a real mess here, but I honestly believe the restoration of oysters and bunker would fix the whole mess. I won't blather about why I think that's the case.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The easy fix...

No commercial harvesting of bunker! Stripers will be happy and will not look to alternative baits such as crabs...

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Doverpower, that's one nice croaker *snicker*

I love the trophy tag idea. I have said for years that is what should be done with reds, just like they do with deer. Extending it to stripers is a great idea.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't know about catch and release only. I enjoy catching and keeping what I catch, as long as it's legal :D . I do see about releasing the larger fish though, the smaller ones taste better anyway. Of course if they would shut down the commercial bunker fishery in the chesapeake, we wouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My thoughts behind the trophy tag
are to limit the harvesting of the breeding
cows.
From what I understand the most prolific breeders
are the 28-42 inch cows.
...yes and that jumbo croaker,its amaizing what photshop can accomplish

·
Registered
166 Posts
almost forgot to mention.
nice sandwich fixins still
avaialbe at IRI.
Stopped by after visiting our
new office in Dewey Beach today
for the last of the outgoing a.m. tide and saw7-8 caught.
Im goin back tomorow morning

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems like most of the fish here are 14-24" anyway so I think the bracket size of 16-24" should be keepers.And,the big ones 28"+should be released.I like Doverpowers idea.Stripers make great good mock crab cakes mm mm mm.tasty.;)

·
Registered
725 Posts
rockhead posted this on 12/1. I took the liberty of adding it in here again in case anyone missed it. It was very informative. I signed the petition. Thanks rockhead.

"save the striper
If you want to stop the overharvesting of menhaden by commercial trawlers, go to savethefish.org and participate in the online petition, you can donate $$ if you want or just give your name address etc."

·
Registered
104 Posts
"Stripers left unchecked will further deplete the stock of blue crabs. They are more vulnerable since the bay grasses have been decimated..."

You make good points, especially that the crabs' habitat has deteriorated -- that along with with harvesting patterns is the "problem" for the crabs, rather than the stripers, though, IMHO.

Re: the stripers' impact on blue crabs -- I think the problem, as sand flea distilled so well ["As the bunker population has crashed because of commercial overfishing, the stripers have had to scavenge and have decimated the blue crabs in the process."] is the lack of prevalence of bunker, which is the primary forage of the stripers (among many other predatory gamefish). Granted, stripers eat a lot of things, and at times will eat anything that doesn't take a bite out of them first...but, I believe that bunker is overwhelmingly their preferred forage.

I think that commercial folks have perpetuated the notion that the crabs' demise is due more to the stripers' predation than the the habitat factors you aptly point out, and harvest patterns.
In my humble view, this notion is grotesque and smug at worst and cynical [and smug] at best...more harvest of everything -- is that really the answer?

I agree that a strong effort should be made to curb or eliminate the industrial bunker fishery in the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding waters.

- Chris

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rad & Flea Hate to say this but in the 5o & 60ts There were tons of stripers and tons of blue crabs Why ?????? Stripers not the reason do you think over harvest????? :jawdrop:

Don't know if you guys remember but back then MD did not allow females to be keep. Think we need top go back in time.Only allow male crabs in the basket, commerical people won't like that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts