Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone fishing Flecthers boathouse and catching stripers yet. I've going out twice and only catch several large catfish, with the biggest going 30 inches.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, stripers have arrived!! I caught a 37" a week ago Sunday morning at Fletcher's, a 22" (same place) Saturday morning, and a 20" on the boat channel side of Haine's Point. I've also encounted many catfish, up to about 7-8 lbs, which have put up a great fight. Caught all fish on cut herring. Yesterday, schools of herring were swimming along the channel edge at Haine's point, and were fairly easy to catch with either a large long-handled net or a multi-hook sabiki rig (I caught over 30 yesterday morning on this rig, which you can get at Sports Authority).

Note that the 2 rock I caught at Fletcher's were caught early morning (before 7am), one on a low tide, one on hight tide. I believe the trick is to start fishing for them at dawn, and cast into the main channel.

Good luck!! :) :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
guys, if you don't mind, would you tell me where the boathouse is? I would like to try fishing there sometime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
To Hookem; Fletchers is just below Chain bridge on the DC side. It is the only thing on the shoreline upriver of the old boat house next to Key bridge.
On the subject of stripers, my son was out about two weeks ago and ran into a guy who had found a dead, tagged fish and notified a DNR type. (not sure exactly who) They recovered the tag and weighed it. 51 Lbs!!
I'm sure that here are bigger cows in the area but not many folks are rigged for fish that size. Add the swift current and most of us end up with a stripped reel or broken line. I've been stripped clean twice and broken off numerous times all along the river. Could be big stripers, cats or maybe even a stray sturgeon. You never know in tidal water. That is a big part of the appeal. Good luck Granpa

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was out there on sunday but didn't land a striper like i hoped. but there are definately alot of fish to be caught out there, especially large catfish, they were biting on the cut herring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts