Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing I have surf fished for are blowfish for the table. (That day's meal, in fact.)

Could someone give me a couple of clues on how to fish for stripers in the surf?

I've thrown jigs to structure and have done fairly well, but I'd like to try the surf.

I take it it is more complex than chucking a two hook rig with a couple of pieces of squid and a piramid sinker on it.

Is there much of this in Virginia?

When does the action start? Same time as the other striper action?

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I take it it is more complex than chucking a two hook rig with a couple of pieces of squid and a piramid sinker on it.

Not much more complex.... For ocean run fish, most folks throw a fishfinder rig with their bait du jour. Fresh cutbait is preferred. Also, keep a pluggin rod nearby in case a school rolls through.

Must be 28 inches in the ocean, two fish. Currently the Bay season is closed until next fall, except for a short season from may 15 to june 15.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I've been looking around on the web and in some of the magazines I picked up at the CCA show and it appears the idea is to toss the fishfinder rig into the roughest surf I can find.

There is no birdwatching, just throw blind and keep moving up the beach. The fish caught will be rogues foraging for food.

It appears the water temperature is the key to when.

It sounds a little like trout fishing ... except a rainbow would jump out of his skin if a 4 ounce pyramid hit his pool. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
The better surf striper fishery is in late fall through early winter. During this time of the year large schools of fish will frequent the surf zone on a regular basis.

Spoons, jigs, bucktails, and large top water plugs are all effective. There are stipers in the surf now that are migrating to their spawning grounds. Many of these fish are intent on only one thing, but some may be looking to get a bite to eat along the way and run into your bait.

Lou

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lou, that's the sort of info I can put to use.

It's a bit too cold to be messing with the kayak just yet, so on to the surf I go. I'll see if I can catch one on his lunch break.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
It appears the water temperature is the key to when.

It sounds a little like trout fishing ... except a rainbow would jump out of his skin if a 4 ounce pyramid hit his pool.
Water temp has a lot to do with it, but so does wind direction. As Lou mentioned, the fall fishery is a little more consistent. Go out in the fall with a N, NE and your chances are pretty good. Now we've got some still pretty cool water. Sustained S and SE should start pushing warmer water towards the oceanfront, and outgoing tides should have warmer water ebbing out of the Bay. Having fish in the surf is just around the corner.

Rockfish are certainly a possibility, but start looking for big croaker and big trout!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Stripers are active down to 38 degrees. Right now the water temps are warm enough(just barely) the Photo period may be more important which is right. The fact that they blew the beach is a problem. I'm thinking about Saturday night wind are suposed to be SE at 5 MPH. I believe big slow plugs or chunks of fresh bait are the answer. Oh and you have to beable to reach the fish which maybe a problem since they built up the beach.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Well do you think the dredging will affect the Ramada section of the surf?
I haven't heard any reports of any activity in that stretch of surf since January.

I am itchin' for some Fishin'!!!!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
When they build up the beach they cover and kill the small Maine life that attract the fish to the shore. Now at first they stir up the life for free food but that dies off and rots. In a word yes it does affect it, now the longer it has been since it was done the better. That beach was very wide when I last walked it, I might check it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts