Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does this mean that stripers are done for the season ? Should I bother going out saturday

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
The Bay season is closed...until the Spring.

But you can catch them on the Atlantic Ocean Side.
But there minimum size is 28 inches.

If you are in a boat,you must stay within 3 nautical miles from shore(ocean side)......trust me the Coast Gaurd enforces this regulation......ask Dr.Jim and Claude Baine;)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Actually for the Ocean you need to watch the winds. An east wind will blow the fish closer to shore. A west wind and the three mile limit may not be far enough.
So if you have a 10 mile or less east wind on Saturday I would go.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just a little clarification, the catch and keep season in the bay ( Inside the line between Cape Charles to Cape Henry ) is closed until the spring Trophy season ( May 1st,I think) but you are allowed to do the C&R thing with the Linesiders all year. It is however not the same outside of the 3mi. limit in the ocean where you are not allow to target Stripers at all.

Just remember if you do decide to target any fish in the C&R mode try to use single hooks wherever possible with the barbs crushed so as to allow a better and quicker release.

There were a lot of folks (myself included) doing C&R last year until late Jan. Haven't heard of much of it going on this year though. Good luck if you go.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Actually the comm's won't be targeting the Bass out in the EEZ. It is just the rec's. And teh Comm's love it!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Digger ,

I wouldn't be quick to say the commercals aren't targeting them out there. Their there and still netting them donig alright but the cold has slowed up the catching a little

1 - 9 of 9 Posts