Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if you all could clarify the striper regs cuz they are kind of confusing. As I read it they go:

Virginia Coastal Seasons:
January 1 through March 31
May 16 through December 31

Minimum Size Limit: 28 inches

Possession Limit: 1 per person (Effective: 1/1/2015)

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season
October 4 through December 31

Minimum Size Limit: 20 inches

*Maximum Size Limit: 28 inches

Possession Limit - October 4 through December 31: 2 per person

* Two stripers per day with a minimum size of 20 inches and a maximum size of 28 inches, although one of those two fish may be greater than 28 inches.

So am I to understand that now thru end of Dec. 2 fish per day may be kept between 20"-28" and because of overlap of seasons one fish may actually be bigger than 28"? So I should be able to go out and catch and keep one 30" fish and still be within regs? Thanks all just wanna be real clear on this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Was just wondering if you all could clarify the striper regs cuz they are kind of confusing. As I read it they go:

Virginia Coastal Seasons:
January 1 through March 31
May 16 through December 31

Minimum Size Limit: 28 inches

Possession Limit: 1 per person (Effective: 1/1/2015)

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season
October 4 through December 31

Minimum Size Limit: 20 inches

*Maximum Size Limit: 28 inches

Possession Limit - October 4 through December 31: 2 per person

* Two stripers per day with a minimum size of 20 inches and a maximum size of 28 inches, although one of those two fish may be greater than 28 inches.

So am I to understand that now thru end of Dec. 2 fish per day may be kept between 20"-28" and because of overlap of seasons one fish may actually be bigger than 28"? So I should be able to go out and catch and keep one 30" fish and still be within regs? Thanks all just wanna be real clear on this.
Can keep 2 fish between 20"-28"
OR
1 fish between 20"-28" and 1 fish bigger than 28" for your 2 fish limit.
CANNOT keep 2 fish bigger than 28"

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rudee Inlet also falls under coastal regs.
If your 1st and only keeper was 30 inches, yes, you are ok either way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Coastal season refers to any water east of the Chesapeake bay. That also includes Rudee inlet. Any striper caught in Rudee inlet or the ocean have to be over 28. You can't keep schoolies outside of the Chesapeake bay.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yep, Lynnhaven falls under bay regs:

Coastal regulations apply in Virginia's Territorial Sea, plus all of the creeks, bays, inlets, and tributaries on the seaside of Accomack County, Northhampton County (including areas east of the causeway from Fisherman Island to the mainland) and the City of Virginia Beach (including federal areas and state parks fronting on the Atlantic Ocean and east and south of the point where the shoreward boundary of the Territorial Sea joins the mainland at Cape Henry).

Map Text Line Ecoregion Atlas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts