Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I go out fishing at night, say at 10 PM, catch 2 fish, and then catch 2 more after midnight, is it legal for me to have 4 fish in my possession?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Technically, yes, but if you get caught with those fish in your possession all once, the man is going to give you a ticket.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do I take the first 2 back to the truck at midnight, fillet them, then go back to fishing?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
So do I take the first 2 back to the truck at midnight, fillet them, then go back to fishing?
I don't think that'll work. 2 fish limit (your possesion). Now if you took 'em back to your house, put 'em in the freezer, then went back out, I would assume that's ok. I don't know the guts of the law, but I'd assume if your driving home w/ 4 fish, that's a violation.

Skunk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do the traffic cops enforce fishing regs? I thought the only people who would be interested in my fish would be the marine patrol, and I would likely only see them on the water or at the water's edge.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't think that'll work. 2 fish limit (your possesion). Now if you took 'em back to your house, put 'em in the freezer, then went back out, I would assume that's ok. I don't know the guts of the law, but I'd assume if your driving home w/ 4 fish, that's a violation.
Whats up Keith? I think Skunks answer pretty much sums it up. Now traffic cops are idiots so I imagine if you made it to the vehicle and got moving you would probably be o.k. Traffic cops are usually so new most of them don't even know what they are doing. These grown up tattletails just know they got a whistle now and think they're cool with their new military haircut and badge. I'm not sying its right but I think, and I stress think that youd be fine once on the road provided you didn't hit the flask too much if fishing with VB1.LOL Just keep in mind it does say in your possesion.

Ben

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks guys for keeping me out of trouble! I was faced with this exact situation last week.

Cheers Ben! Coming down your way on Sunday.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not sure about VA, but SC is very specific. Daily catch limits are a 24 hour period. If you have 2 limits of fish, you'd better be able to prove you were on a 2 day trip.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't know about the beach but it is illegal to clean or fillet a striper while on board a vessel. . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts