Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It really depends on what size the fish are running. I have caught stripers on all sizes of hooks. Generally the larger the fish are running, the larger the hooks. I use 9/0 circles when fishing with live bait or with large pieces of cut bait in the surf. I will generally size down to 5/0 hooks when fishing in the chesapeake bay since the fish generally run smaller. I will even go down to 2/0 if I'm not getting any bites. Earlier this year I caught a 20 inch striper on a piece of bloodworm on a size 6 circle hook intended for spot that almost won me 130 bucks at the second choptank clean-up, except that a certain someone had to catch 2 fish at the same time that were larger than mine, but I won't mention any names ;) .

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Ditto what Anthony said

depends on location. If fishing in th Bay I usally go with a 4/0 circle. If fishing th ocean where there is better chance of larger fish I use 8-10/0 circles.

·
Registered
823 Posts
7/0 - 10/0 for striper
4/0 - 6/0 for smaller fish
seldom smaller helps weed out trash fish to a degree

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys

5/0 Average when fishing the bay (Lesner)
8/0 Average when fishing the Ocean (Rudee/Ramada)

I've caught one 24" striper out off Rudee this year but I caught him on a "fluke" I was actually targeting puppy drum and had a
2/0 on a bottom rig baited with cut spot&shrimp combo.

I'm still learning the trade so it cut me pretty deep when I learned that while fishing the ocean fish must be 28" I haven't tasted a Rockfish all year. But from the reports out of lesner lately I might get a taste this weekend!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts