Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I caught my first striper last fall off the virginia beach pier and ever since ive wanted to catch more. I hate to say it but I caught that striper by nothing but pure luck and I wanted to know where the best striper holes in virginia beach are, and what are the best lures to catch them with. I've bought a few lures but not sure exactly how to fish them or if they'll do any good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK, this is just what I've heard...

try a black plastic worm from the beach at night on a moving tide. 8"-10" oughta do.

Other than that...cut bait on a fishfinder, clams also. Try and read the beach during the day to find a hole, cut, etc., any structure will help. See the how-to link at the left for a primer on reading the beach.

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Chicks Beach is...

my favorite as far as stripers are concerned. Hit 'em hard last winter through January wading out to the bar using rattletraps and wild eye shads. Mid October or so last year metals from the beach were the ticket. They'll be here soon!

·
Registered
291 Posts
a few ways. One requires a decent cast. Head to lesner bridge with a 1-2 oz white jighead pink eyes and a pink fluke killer(zoom). Just fish the bridge really. the channel on the boat ramp side is good and the light pole and 3rd piling on duck inns side are good. Another way is to go out on first chance and bring 1 oz white bucktails with uncle josh pork rinds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i caught 6 stripers in june off that light pole fishnkid is talking about.... biggest one was 16lbs..first time i had ever caught stripers..what a rush! cant wait for my first run!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I knew if I'd reply and bump this up some of the folks with real knowledge would jump in with some suggestions. :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
My .02 cents.....

I will be burning a lot of gas this striper season.

My favorite honey holes will be determined by a couple of factors:

1).If I have freshly caught bait,or recently brined bait,I will head out to the Great Kneck passage.A simple fish finder rig and a 4/0 circle hook is what I use on a 7 foot medium action spinning rod.While my bait is soaking I will cast a plethora of lures,on my 8 foot trout rod,just to pass the time.If you come to the WALL Don't forget to bring a net .Also if the weather is nasty,rainy,cold or undesirable winds,I will be nestled @ this striper hole.I have fished this hole @ anytime of the day and had the same amount of luck fishing for stripers.

2).Early in the season I will likely be found @ The Spit.Exit 272 headed on 64west.Fishing on or by the jetty that is adjacent to the HBRT.Excellent hole esp if winds are blowing from the NE and ya fish during the falling tide.Current plays a humongous roll when I come to fish this hole.I have had excellent results fishing with Wind Cheaters' diving plugs.I usually use my 8 foot Fenwick,cast out,Let the plug settle and SLOWLY retreive.I am letting the current help me,the harder the current the slower I will retreive.I will just slightly twich my rod,to emulate an injured or non coherent bait fish.I also remove the front barbs on the diving plug.If you don't mind checking your mono line every 5 to 10 cast,I strongly suggest going to a braid.The rocks around the jetty are un-forgiving,and when you have a 10-15 lbs striper on,you WILL go through some tackle.I usually fish this area real early in the AM or late in the PM.I have had success fish the area @ dusk,as the striper will blitz the beach and chase the mullet.I am excited to try fishing with the assortment of Storm Lures ,I had saved up from earlier in the season.It will be my first time using them for stripers.

3).Chix 's Beach/Chesapeake Beach.
Old reliable.If you check in the Photo Gallery,I believe in the 2001 archive,Sand Flea video filmed a striper blitz in the making.On a cold December day,with the winds blowing from the NE,the sea gulls diving franticaly at the free meal below them,This is the place where we all should be.I personally love casting wooden top water plugs and visibally seeing the fish take the lure.You can pretty much use any tackle in your tackle box,depending on the current wind conditions.I have found casting plastic plugs into the wind,dosen't really get you out as far as would a wooden 1.If the wind is exceptionally strong,I will cast out spoons or buck tails.

So I hope I have given you a slight in-sight to a couple of places I have found productive in the hiunt for stripers.

There other places also,but that is another thread.

Iam out.....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great thread. With the non-summer, maybe the stripers will do good in the cooler weather.

Hey Fishing Kid, when will the First Change trips get good? I always thought the stripers didn't show at the CBBT until later in the season...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
hey trip all good locations and methods already on this thread so far. Stripers like moving water (current) and some sort of structure that can hide baitfish, like bridge pilings,rocks,sandbars,etc. As far as baits, live bait works well when they aren't feeding hard, but when the fall rolls around they feed like a Bluefish, they'll eat almost anything that looks like a minnow. Swimming plugs like Mirrolures, ledhead jigs w/ some kind of soft grub tail (Storms, Finness,Bass Assasins,etc.),and metal spoons (Kastmasters,Hopkins,Crippled Herrings,etc.) are usually what I throw at them. Hope this helps,good luck!!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Mostly all your independant local tackle shops carrybthem.I will be getting mine from Ocean East 2.

Probably gonna use a 5 to 6 OZ barrel sinker ala Carolina rig to fish the live eel.

I have some left over frozen eels(from cobia fishin the buoys) that I want to rig and fish like an artificial.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've read a couple of Frank Daignault's book on surf fishing for stripers and he prefers to fish live eels kind of like you would a swimming plug. Cast out and reel in *very slowly* letting the eel swim freely.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I never had a great deal of luck with eels during the fall, particularly in Tidewater. I find they bite cut bait and artificials much better. (plus it's cheaper and you don't get a coat of snot on your hands from handling them :barf: )

And my favorite spot is Chick's. You'll find them everywhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In fact, buy a pair of waders and fish up against the bridge after dark. If you can't catch stripers then, you may as well hang it up. :p

You can also chase birds during the day when a NE wind is blowing and it's overcast. Look for diving gulls and be prepared for the blitz!

·
Registered
291 Posts
davb, you can catch them from the start of the season on the boat. It depends on the weather mainly but i have had my best days during thanksgiving-end of the season. In the early part of the season there arent as many but there is enough.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, what they said....

.. and there are already fish at the CBBT, both large and small, deep and shallow, artificials, or live bait..... won't be long and that's all we'll be hearing about. I'm going to give 'em a shot on the flyrod this year. Seems it'd be a REAL battle... I like the idea of wading off the beach for them too, usually I fish them at the rocks or out in a boat. My favorite all around bait last season was the blue/white Windcheater. Casting, wirelining, or on the troll, it ALWAYS produced fish... ALWAYS..... But, that was last season. The close second was the 6" Storm bait. All the colors worked, especially the Croaker tone. Fish On

Zigh
><((((*>
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts