Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow fisherman,

I have a quick question for you all. So I have a Diawa Emcast 5500A reel and I'm looking to pair this with a good rod for stripper fishing. I'm 5'1 and looking for a good rod that I will be comfortable casting. More than likely it will be solely for inshore fishing. Are there rod you can use from shore and boat? I've never targeted stripers until now and I just want the best setup. Can yall please chime in and provide your expertise on this matter?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
897 Posts
That can depend on your definition of "good" and your budget. IMO, a rod in 7'-8' length range is good for Striper fishing, and from both shore & boat.

I have an 8' Daiwa Beefstick that I use. It's an inexpensive rod & I have it paired with an Emcast 5500 reel. It's not sensitive but has plenty of power, made of fiberglass, and for the limited fishing of that type that I do, it works well. Most of that type of rod that I used in the past were fiberglass, as I started well before graphite and other high tech materials were being used. I never worry about breaking it. Most of my surf rods are also Beefsticks, because I don't do much surf fishing, so not willing to spend a lot for the little use they'll get.

I know several folks who fish in that manner more than I, and they use other rods. Ugly Stick makes a 7' Striper rod. Tsunami & Okuma has some rods that some like in the 7'-8' range. St Croix also has some very nice rods. You can get "better" rods, and you'll pay a higher price for them. Even Quantum/Zebco makes some rods that will work.

That rod that I have is great for tossing heavier lures, lures that are 2 ounce and up to about 4 ounces. It's not a good rod for lighter lures, although I have tossed 1 to 2 oz bucktails with it. The Beefstick is also fine for chunking baits.

I use a Bass Pro Shops Extreme (bass), casting rod for lighter lures, not spinning gear. They've been good rods for freshwater and some saltwater if you take good care of them, and they sell for around $100 unless you get them on sale. Again, there are "better" rods, but higher priced.

So, it really can depend on how you plan on fishing and again, how much you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
That reel is big. I would put it on a 10 to 11‘ rod and use it for casting bait in the surf. Stick it in sand spike.

I would get a smaller rod/reel combo, perhaps a 4000 size reel and 7’ rod for inshore fishing on a boat. This could also be used on a pier or for short casts from the shore.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree. The two major factors here are 1. How much do you want to spend? 2. Where/how are your targeting stripers?
I mainly fish for them in the susquehanna river, so any bass gear will work, but something a little beefier helps. I landed a 28" last year on a 7'mf bass rod with a 3500 size reel. Took a while. Mostly in there I catch 16-24" fish, so my set up works great.
St Croix mojo is a great style and they make one rated for about 1/2 oz -2oz I think. Thatd be perfect in 7 or 8' for shore and boat fishing lures in places fish can get pretty big.
Good luck! Keep asking questions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts