Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be striper fishing from shore this summer in pei. I would like to use mackerel for bait but i think it would be hard to catch them from where i am since it is shallow and sandy. How else can i get mackerel or what other bait could i use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Striper fish is a gamefish that is native to the Western coast of North America. It is found in shallow waters throughout a large range along the Pacific Coast from California to British Columbia.
Actually the Striped Bass is native to the eastcoast of the US and was transplanted to the west coast in the latter part of the 1800s.On the west coast it is rarely found north of San Francisco bay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
im going to be striper fishing from shore this summer in pei. I would like to use mackerel for bait but i think it would be hard to catch them from where i am since it is shallow and sandy. How else can i get mackerel or what other bait could i use.
Mackeral is a fine bait for stripers and most bait shops carry macks.Menhaden aka pogies,bunker are also found in most shops.Whole native squid is also a good choice.Be aware that most states now require the use of circle hooks when fishing live or cut bait for stripers,not sure about Canadian provinces.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Live spot.... eels.... menhaden ( bunker) both live and chunked, squid... you name it and a striper will eat it.
Don't over look casting plugs in the early morning late evenings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts