Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have some room on here! :)

Thanks to the good folks at f5hosting and a night full of profanity and bourbon, the new server is up and running.

We have a lot more space and bandwidth on here, so I've bumped up the private messages (and while I'm on the subject, please check your "Sent" folder before writing me to ask why your account is over the limit). I've also upped the smilie count, and enabled the calendar. With the calendar any member can add functions open to P&S members (cleanups, casting clinics, etc.)

Things may be a little funny over the next day or so. You may see the old dead site instead of the new, functional one. If that happens, just point your browser here. If you're curious about what's going on, the new site's location has to propagate to these things called DNS servers that keep track of where all the websites in the world are. If your ISPs DNS server hasn't gotten ahold of the new record for the site, it soon will. But in the meantime, it's probably pointing you to the dead site.

More nifty stuff coming. In the meantime, back to the fishing.

sf

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well I still got the dead site but am sure glad it is all over with. Appreciate it Sandflea. By tonight I should be up and running!:D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Got to love those all night implementations. But work frowns on drinking on the job. I did have one manager who would pass out cigars after every successful implementation.

I was up all night too because those dang Hokies made me so mad that I couldn't sleep :mad: but the night got a little better when Gonzo went yard at 1230am to beat dem Yanks. :D

Thanks for the hard work you put into this site SandFlea - it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Outstanding

Flea...Thanks for another job well done. Really appreciate the extra PM capacity.

Catman.:)

D

·
0 Posts
I really appreciate all the things youve done to make this site the best!:D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
What kind of server are you on now? Are you running UNIX, NT, or 2000?

Gives us a little more info.

# of processors
Memory
Raid Controller or just mirroring HD

Just how powerful is this new server?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Orest, it's a shared box so don't expect too much. I haven't had to move up to dedicated yet. Last night's problems came in getting the MySQL database off the old server. PHP kept timing out before we could get the dump completed, so we had to go into the tables and break it up into three separate pieces.

specs:
Operating system: Linux
Kernel version: 2.4.20
Apache version: 1.3.28 (Unix)

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Why is it us guys that may have to work late get the bump for the upgrade? Heck next time do it at 9:00 am so I don't go through withdrawal like last night, or think Mr. Flea finally kicked me off the site, for some thing right I may have said, but said it the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm sure this is a BIG thing for you and kudos, be proud, and no matter what anyone says, I'm harmless (sometimes a jerk, yet harmless).

·
Registered
823 Posts
again many thanks matthew............ my isp is always the last to pick up changes........ until then i'll bounce off the old site link. but its cool thanks for your effort

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks Sandflea and we all know all of the hard word you put in That's why this site in the BEST!!!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Thanks for the Upgrade!

This cool weather makes me want to pour a Makers Mark also!;)

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Showing birthdays on the calendar makes it kind of crowded. Do you guys think I should just display fishing events on it and just leave to displaying birthdays at the bottom of the home page on each day?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done.

So, Hat, is the Point Lookout cleanup going to be the first item on the calendar once you guys pick a date?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts