Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this posted at SOL and thought it was neat. What is the strangest thing you've cought while fishing ? Mine is for sure the Inshore Lizzard Fish that you guys helped me identify.Sam has cought a new condition fishing rod and pole. We have also caught Gulls,ducks and many snapping turtles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is easy for me. Last year at the Choptank bridge I caught a hagfish. It was an ugly little sucker about 10 inches long and had barbles like a catfish. It took me awhile to ID it but I saw a pic of one caught by a Choptank headboat on the DNR homepage. Seems they migrate from the ocean but noone knows why.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spider crabs are strange, sea robins, but i've cought everything and most were stationary objects like piers.cables,bridges ect. Once i cought a buzz

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoreline, that was THE answer my friend !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a 32lb paddlefish once out of the Neosho River in Kansas during their snagging season.
Since moving east I was surprised to hook some starfish. Spider crabs and toadfish probably rate as the ugliest catches I've made, though there was a swimmer down in the S. Carolina surf I got that would be a close third.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, other than the plethora of fish that shouldn't have been where they were when I caught them, I have one wierd little creature that is still unidentified. I was fishing the Point on the OBX a few years back and brought up something that looked like a long eel shaped jelly fish. Upon further inspection, I saw two little beady eyes and a digestive system in this clear eel like animal about 8 inches long. It was like a clear eel, but it was more blade shaped, looked through quite a few things, and couldn't id it, any guesses out there? I'm thinking maybe a juvenile shrimp eel or worm eel.

Tight lines, and warm weather,

Salty

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Salty: Sounds like a juvenile cutlassfish, maybe one of the deep-water species.

I can't really recall anything too weird that I caught--the standard assortment of lizardfish, stargazers, etc. I've always wanted to be one of those lucky guys who hooks a sailfish on a king rig...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The strangest fiah I ever caught would be a stargazer. Ling cod are also strange fish. They have head that looks like a fish and a tail that looks like an eels and they are slimy like an eel. The have two long skinny fins that remind me of catfish wiskers.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
actually, Russ and Scales, it's a hake. They tend to be around in the colder water months, but are sometimes encountered at different times of the year. I was told recently that you can target them in the ocean and lower bay at this time of the year. Clams are supposed to be the ticket. They don't get much bigger than 16 or 18 inches, I believe. And, they are good to eat--first hand knowledge.

As far as the strangest things I've caught, there are far too many to list. But an atlantic moonfish while pompano fishing one year in august in Hatteras is one. Also, caught a banded drum on the south beach of hatteras this past september.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your right Dave I forgot the name and thought it was a hagfish but now that you mentioned it I remembered. Good eatin huh, too slimey for me!

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
pretty slimey indeed! We just had to try it after catching a few. It was at least 8-10 years ago. But, decent, kinda like weakfish....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll have to go with a trumpet fish while drifting a reef off Jupiter, Fl. 4 feet long and 4 inches around <laugh> I've seen them a lot when diving...never caught one til that day!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
James Tackle, what kind of price you got on a
ABU Garcia anti-backlash baitcasting reel? Ambassador 6000?

Hey everybody else, what you think of the Mitchell Epic E200 for $32.66 at this link: <http://www.ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=565>

Would it work for my 12' ugly stick rod? What about the Ambassadeur 6000C at the same site for $46.63? Good prices!

See, I'm challenging James Tackle to give me a good price by showing some good prices (I'm doing the research at least...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts