Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a couple strange looking little fish off the pier on Tybee tonight. It's not the first time I've caught them, but now it's driving me nuts. They have two white long whiskers and have a little black tapered tail, total length is about 6 inches. Looks like a cross between a cobia and a cod or hake. Very strange, any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atlantic cod? This far south? The picture looks like what I caught, but not completely. Any pictures of a baby cod?
:confused:

·
Registered
285 Posts
here's the closest picture I could find, but not exactly sure what the size of these fish are.

as for catching them that far south. I wouldn't see why not. I've caught a lot of small ones out of the Indian River Inlet in late spring. temperature range is 0 - 20°C

but i think for a true identification you should email fishbase Fish Base and they should be able to give you a definate answer :)

Hope this helped

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
565 Posts
What youy caught was most likely a ling aka red hake. They are related to cod, but are not the same thing. They taste great and make good tuna bait.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I am going with red hake on this one. So you think they venture this far south in the 50-60 degree water? Every time I have caught them the water has been <60. This includes Va Beach (May 6, 2001) and Tybee Island, GA (March 19, 2003).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ling prefer cool water, but I have caught them in the Delaware bay in mid Summer, and they are often caught on the tuna grounds in extremely warm water. They are common as far south as MD and I am sure a few are found down your way too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think i got a good picture of the same fish you are reffering to :) as soon as i find a website to put it on i'll post it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup that's it. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I sent the pictrues in they are trying to identify the fish and will get back to me :) should know in a few days :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<in best Montgomery Burns voice> "Eeeeexcellent"

·
Registered
8 Posts
:cool: I work at OCP on Oak Island,NC and we've been catching those ugly little "slicks" for a couple of weeks now. Two of my fishermen made a special trip to the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher to seek the identity of the critter. The biologist at the aquarium identified it as a SOUTHERN HAKE, a member of the Cod family and showed them pictures to confirm it. Mystery solved !!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for the info Sherri!! :) Think i'll be old and grey by the time i get a response from fishbase.

They gettin any blues down that way yet?

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I caught quite a few of them little critters over the weekend. They are quite the ugly little slimy bait stealing waste of time arent they. dang things kept stealing my shrimps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help I caught this guy as I was swimming in Miami South Beach shore, what is it, what does he eat? I have him in my tank and i dont want him to die on me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts