Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
thanx for the link that was interesting
has anybody seen many of the species
if ya ever catch the fish called monk fish aka anglerfish it is very good eating taste like chicken and has only a backbone.
:D

very ugly though

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ugliest fish I ever caught was a Ling Cod while fishing for Halibut off Hitchinbrook Isl. in the Gulf of Alaska (Just around the corner from Bligh Island & Reef, where the Exxon Valdez went aground) . It's pretty much a usless inedible trash fish, and ugly as sin. All they do is waste your bait & time. I didn't know what the heck it was, but the guy with me did. He said it would have been pretty funny if I had tried to eat it, since it's nothing but bones and what meat there is tastes terrible.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had Ling Cod and it is delicious and if you ever catch a wolffish it is also very good eating but very ugly

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd never seen one, & that's what the guy said, sooooo.... It was about an 6-8 pounder, we pitched it back since we were fishing for Halibut. It's possible it's a different fish from the East Coast variety, that happens but one thing's for sure it was gawdawful ugly ! Guess I shoulda took a picture !

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Around these parts their called "THE POOR MANS LOBSTER" but very good eatin. We catch them when we go wreck fishing off OC. :D :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, that's not the fish I'm talkin about, so the guy must have been wrong. the fish I caught, was a medium brown, very bony (bones protruding from body) at the head with longitudinal cartiliganeous protrusions that you could see, as well as feel, with brown & black splotches, and very "seaweedy" fins, as in camoflaged. It had a large, Bass-like mouth, with some short feelers sort of like a catfish hanging off of it's upper lip. But one thing's for sure, if that picture is accurate, a Ling Cod, it wasn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ha ! That's where I was fishing, and we caught two Halibut, one about #90, and the other was about #131 as I recall. I navigated the back way, thru Tititlek(sic) Narrows to get out to Hitchinbrook. I sure wish we caught one that big ! We had to hightail it back to Valdez Sound to keep from being caught by weather, and found there's no gas anywhere until you get back to Valdez. We were running on fumes when we got back, but we made it. What a trip !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts