Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can stingrays be used as cut bait? For some reason it just doesn't seem like it would be any good.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Last year a couple of guys on the board were asking the same question and were told that sharks would take stingrays(cut bait) and a very good crab bait. :) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't cut up a sting ray b/c there cool and they shouldn'g be cut up in my opinions. BUT sk8's should be cut up, prob better bait anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just read a story about a couple of scientist whom watched a hammerhead attack and use it's head to literaly "hammer" a ray into the bottom, then held it down with it's head and mucnhed the wings like eating the head off a choclate bunny. So I guess that sharks do eat rays. The same report told of a mature hammerhead that was seen to have no fewer than 97 stingray stings in it head. But still wouldn't use ray for bait. Might make good live bait but how would you hook it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings all!

Yup, sharks love 'em! The New Jersey Aquarium keeps their skates and rays in a seperate tank. The big sand tiger kept eating them up in the main tank!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts