Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son ( just turned 6) and I started surf fishing this year and have enjoyed it thoroughly, but I still think I am a little lost. We started with a pen fierce 7000 on a 10' tica tc2 rod and then added a penn fierce 4000 on a 7' (maybe 8'?) pen fierce medium graphite rod later in the summer. We use fresh mullet when we can catch them and frozen shrimp and cut frozen mullet when we can't. We have caught some lady fish, whiting, croaker, Rays, Sharks, pin fish, and lots of blues so far. If I understand we should be able to catch drum, flounder, and trout from the surf this time of year? We will fish most weekends from oak island down to myrtle beach. I guess my plan going forward is to fish a flounder rig in the wash with fresh shrimp in the wash and live mullet, cut mullet, or coned blue heads on a fish finder rig out long on the larger pole. Is this right? How far out should I be to target big drum? I could not find this answered using the search. Is my approach or understanding wrong? Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not so much "How far out" but finding the holes and cuts that hold them. Go to YouTube and look up "Reading the Beach - Identifying Sandbars, Troughs, & Cuts". Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
+2 on Read the Beach video.

Learn what dark water (deep) and lighter (redish) shallow water color means. It will help distinguish the bars, cuts and holes.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Flounder aren't usually swimming around in the surf so you have to be moving to find them, or get lucky and throw it on top of one.

Trout aren't usually thick on the beach. Weakfish, sometimes, but sea trout in the surf is a wintertime thing...usually with Mirrolures or jigs. You can certainly catch some sometimes on cut bait or shrimp though but it's not a ton in my experience...

Slot drum (and all fish) love structure...rips, bars and their cuts, and holes.

Big drum can be caught on bigger baits...cut big chunks out of one of those bluefish or some fat whiting heads if you can't get fresh mullet.

Reading the beach is a huge part of it...Try to meet up with someone and let them show it to you, that's the best way I've found.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flounder aren't usually swimming around in the surf so you have to be moving to find them, or get lucky and throw it on top of one.

Trout aren't usually thick on the beach. Weakfish, sometimes, but sea trout in the surf is a wintertime thing...usually with Mirrolures or jigs. You can certainly catch some sometimes on cut bait or shrimp though but it's not a ton in my experience...

Slot drum (and all fish) love structure...rips, bars and their cuts, and holes.

Big drum can be caught on bigger baits...cut big chunks out of one of those bluefish or some fat whiting heads if you can't get fresh mullet.

Reading the beach is a huge part of it...Try to meet up with someone and let them show it to you, that's the best way I've found.
First of all, thanks everyone for the feedback. I have been watching YouTube videos on reading the surf

So if I understand correctly:

1) I don't need to worry so much about how far out I am casting. The right hole could be 50 yards out or 150 yards out?
2 there are flounder in the surf, but I need to cover ground to have a better chance of finding them?

Thanks again

·
Registered
419 Posts
Flounder are primarily ambush predators, lying on the bottom waiting for something tasty to come within reach. They will chase bait if they are hungry but it has to pass by their nose first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't discount a slough that runs right up to where the surf is breaking on the beach. Sometimes the fish will be within ten yards from where you are standing assuming the surf is not pounding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts