1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever used these rods for drum
http://www.seastriker.com/starrods/styled-3/index.html

Specifically this one - PG2040C11
I need a rod more sensitive and lighter than an ocean master.
Do these rods cast good?
Also do you think I can cast 7nbait with the model above?
Thanks

Hatteras report
I only fished the point because I can't read the surf well(I'll learn).
I managed 4 drum, biggest was 37" FL
From the things I've heard/seen, this year(so far) isn't a good year for big drum on obx
Maybe the hurricane has something to do with it idk.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Drumfisher_,

Yes I have the PG2040C12 12ft 4-12 and I absolutely love it. It loads really deep and has a parabolic bend. It is 70-30 split so the top is 7ft long.

It throws 4 and bait and I have thrown 10 as hard as I can. It has good bite detection but not great for whiting.

If your a hard caster you will not like it but if your a normal guy you will not like the really stiff rods.

I have a 40-405 and it is a beast but I really don't like that it is so stiff. I was catching 3ft dogfish with it and they could only make it wiggle a little in the spike.

I usually throw 6 and a spot head with the 12fter to get it out there and I feels really good. It throws 8 and 10 just the same.

I also have the 9ft PC1230C90 1-4 and I like it too. I think it throws a double bucktail/live bait rig for flownder/puppy drum great. It is a little stiff for spiking with mono on the reel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used one for about 4years. Never had a problem with 7nbait. Rod loads good,is sensitive, along with the power to land. Fàiled to mention that I use a sl20sh with this rod. I also have 2 twelve foot stellars that I use with a sl30sh. Not as sensitive, but loads great with 7nbait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.