Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a lot of people using steelhead rods in the surf this fall. They're casting mirrolures and jigheads for specks in the surf- the same stuff that I have always used a 7 foot inshore rod for. But the guys using these longer rods are getting incredible distance with light 1/2 oz lures. Anybody use steelhead rods for light lures in the surf? Any recommendations for brand and length to buy?

I also imagine that these are great for Spanish in the summer.

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
Lamiglas N 386 MC "Norwest Special" 8', 6" 8-12lb test, 3/8 - 3/4 oz 2-piece . . .

I have 3 of them ( conventional ) that I may be getting rid of soon. Shoot me a PM for more info .

·
Registered
29 Posts
My old standby is a gloomis str1083s rod 9ft 3/8 to 3/4. Don't use it much since 2007 was the last amazing trout bite on beach up here in kittyhawk.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Many years ago I had the same problem and went to a half dozen tackle shops at the Outer Banks. I didn't want to spend the money for a custom/high dollar rod and I believe it was Nick at TWs who put me on what I am using now, which is a couple Shimano Clarus Steelhead rods, 8'6".......IM7 graphite.........rated 1/4-1 oz . Absolutely love them and with 10# mono or braid they will cast a long ways. I throw mainly a bucktail/fly tandem rig on mine so I get away with using 20/6 PP.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Noticed a lot of people using steelhead rods in the surf this fall. They're casting mirrolures and jigheads for specks in the surf- the same stuff that I have always used a 7 foot inshore rod for. But the guys using these longer rods are getting incredible distance with light 1/2 oz lures. Anybody use steelhead rods for light lures in the surf? Any recommendations for brand and length to buy?

I also imagine that these are great for Spanish in the summer.
I have a 10'6" Steelhead noodle rod by St Croix. It cost around $140 ten years ago. It was the most expensive trout rod I ever bought but when you think about it that is $14 per year.

It will out cast normal trout rods by a great margin.

It is very light.

I used it some off a pier also throwing for trout underhanded. The longer rod's only issue for me anyway is that the blank is so light I have to carry it around stuck in a fly rod tube.

A few friends of mine had spinning rods made up from fly rod blanks for the same purpose.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have 4 Fenwick steelhead rods. 2 are 9'6", 2 are 9'. I have caught 20 lb. king salmon and steelhead up to 14'lb on them. And 2 lb pompanos on them. They cast a mile and make any size fish fun to catch.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have 8 different steelhead rods, anywhere from 8'6" to 10'6". Use them for everything - light surf fishing in close with fleas in the first gut, surf artificials, etc. the 10'6" with 8lb fireline will throw a 1oz glass minnow a mile, light as a feather, real fun with 2-5lb blues/spanish. like don i like the fenwick ones but also have shimano, berkley, okuma, cabelas ones. very versatile rods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lot of great information here. I'm hoping to get one on sale this week as an early Christmas present to myself. St. Croix has a Triumph model with a rebate and Fenwick's can also be had on sale. Is there a best all around length? I'm pretty short and my surf rods are all 8 or 9 ft. I would also assume that I wouldn't throw anything heavier than 3/4-1 oz.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Like my 8.5' St Croix steelhead rod for surf trout plugging. Garboman If I used a 10 1/2 ' rod - I would up the size of my Diawi ss1300's . best - glenn

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have 4 different salmon rod blanks that I have built. They are all 10'6" and just different weight ratings but my go to is is the isa1266f from batson. It is rated to 1 1/2 oz so it is perfect for 1 oz spoons. It is probably overkill for trout but that is why I have the others rated for the lighter weights.

·
Registered
567 Posts
st croix tws

series IV graphite, 7-6" 4-10#, 1/8-3/8 oz with either 8-10 braid.
Been good so far. use mostly grubs, but it will throw ML's quite good
This maybe on some days a little too light depending on the wind/conditions but Nick/Nathan at TW's got me on to this particular rod. Was costly.
You'll have to decide on the length but for me I've been satisfied with the length on the conservative side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a lot of comparison shopping, I just received a Fenwick Eagle 9 ft. 10# 3/8-1 oz. Just in time for it to get cold, but at least I have something extra to be excited about this coming Spring. Got it for $50 on sale, free shipping. Good action, lotta backbone, and pairs well with a 3000 reel. Gold-ish color is ugly as sin, though. Whatever happened to plain black rods? Guess I'll get over it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
While it's not a steelhead rod, another over looked rod is the DIAWA MAD DRAGON. It is a European carp rod. It's a 12' lightweight rod. I bought one at TW's. With a 1.5 oz glass minnow, I can cast a county mile. The rod is sensitive a can be and is a blast with 3# blues. I threw 2oz with bait and had a blast with panfish. Got a slot puppy on it and you would have thought it was a 40.

·
Registered
177 Posts
CARP RODS haven't been overlooked by me. :)

I love using Carp Rods for surf fishing. I've got 2 12' carp rods in 3.5 lbs TC. I love them, and they cast a mile... if I need them to. The rods are very sensitive, you can fee even the smallest fish in the surf. Many traditional "Surf Casting" rods just don't allow you to feel small fish. On my traditional surf rods I used to reel in and check my bait only to find that a I had a fish on and didn't even know it. Sorta like fishing with a Telephone pole to me. :)

UK Carp rods are much thinner and lighter than traditional Surf rod, and they can cast heavy lead with ease. I lov'em for Surf fishing, and can't say enough good things about them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Wow! I'm amazed at the replies. I have a 8' 6" Lamiglas Steelhead baitcaster rod that I used for stream Smallmouths. I would have to go look at it for model number, as I suffer from CRS. :rolleyes:
It's a wonderful rod for tossing light jigs.
Never gave it any thought to use it in the surf, not that I do a lot of surf fishing any way. I would bet it would be great from lighter stuff.

I'm glad to see I'm the not the only one who "crosses over" when it comes to fishing gear. :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've got a 10'4" rain shadow I throw mirror lures with. I broke the tip on that today after years of abuse. It's now 10'1". I have a 9' 6" one also. I've smoked the big trout on that rod when know one else could reach the fish. I use the 8' Carolina cast pro & century 866 the most these last three years

1 - 20 of 32 Posts