Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!!

I'm moving back home to Stafford after living in New England. I've been surfcasting stripers the whole time up here, and wondering what's the closest spot to Stafford to get some stripers from the shore. Any info will help! I've also loaded up on freshwater gear for the ponds.

Best,
Lonell

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Welcome back. Your best bet in the spring is the Maryland part of the bay, just to your west. Sandy Point and Romancoke are good producers. After that, Assateague over toward the Atlantic is a good bet in May if you have a 4wd. In the fall/winter I'd have said to fish Va. Beach and the northern Banks, but the fish rarely come that far south anymore and the fishery is way down from previous years. Oh, and Kent Narrows is good in the fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks bud! I also thought the Potomac in the Stafford area would hold a lot of slobs down deep. I'll have to do my fair share of scouting when I get there in March. I will keep you guys updated but won't give you the exact coordinates. lol.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Hello All!!!

I'm moving back home to Stafford after living in New England. I've been surfcasting stripers the whole time up here, and wondering what's the closest spot to Stafford to get some stripers from the shore. Any info will help! I've also loaded up on freshwater gear for the ponds.

Best,
Lonell
If you are willing to try some different fishing, there is a spring migration up the rappahannock. You can go out and throw crystal minnows or other floating minnows and catch tons of stripers in the spring with a bass rod. There is lake anna. You can fish the winter there with some waders, a good 8 or 9 foot rod that will throw a 3/4 ounce jig head and still be light enough to feel the bottom in a current. Do you have access to PAX (military ID req')? That's a closer drive than most of the MD locations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No military access. I do have a few friends that do though. I was wondering if the colonial beach area was any good for the striper migration as well? Thanks for your info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts