Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is familiar with this area you have heard about the ridiculous inshore bite right now just outside the inlet. All the blues and spanish you want, mixed in with perfect sized blue runners for sailfish. You can get them trolling or casting. We would troll to locate the fish then cast the light rods once we found them. Really fun fishing, non stop action. Blues were up to five pounds, spanish up to three. The porpoise were everywhere. We hooked one while reeling in a spanish, just give it slack and they will drop it eventually.

Get out there if you can, looks like it will be too rough tomorrow. Good luck guys!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good thing you got out on the 28th because as is normal around here conditions one day are no guarantee of things the next. We made it out on the 29th and the winds had shifted to out of the SE. The water was filthy and fish were very hard to come by. Spanish were available early close to shore but the wrecks in the Donaldson area were a white out. We freedove many of them and even tried the Rankin and several of the concrete railroad stacks. Water on the deep stuff was cleaner but fairly devoid of fish. We finally anchored on a med depth wreck (70ft) and a buddy of mine with exceptional freediving ability managed a chunky gag and a eater perm. In these conditions we joke that we are diving by brail but at 70fsw with 3-5ft visibility on a single breath of air this is barely an exaggeration. A picture to follow

·
Registered
506 Posts
Saturday on the beach in Jensen was just a few jacks and baby bonnetheads.

Guys who fished Friday said the pompano bite was hot, two guys limited out in a couple hours, fishing way out with sand fleas.

Sunday morning the bluefish turned on from 7-10 or so, then everything shut down.

Beach conditions were great, light surf and relatively clear water, no seaweed:)

Should have been great whiting conditions but the blues were keeping them away.

Things got crappy when the weather changed Sunday afternoon, the same SE wind and rain that got everyone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ouch. I believe it is illegal to spear Permit. You may want to delete that photo of the Permit with a hole in its head before somebody takes notice.:popcorn:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was about to say the same thing man. Nice grouper though, heard of a few nice ones last week. The pomps back at the marina were pigs, all on fleas. Looks like a beautiful weekend, wish I was still down there. Catch em up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the concern guys but it is perfectly legal to spear permit in Florida as long as you are in Federal waters and do not stop in state waters upon your return to port. The reason this is true is because Federal regulations do not specifically prohibit this type of gear as a method of take for the species in question. The same is true for tripletail. In the case of snook this does not apply as the State rules specifically detail that snook may not be landed in Florida either from State or Federal waters if they have been speared. In the case where the state defines such a practice as prohibited, even where Federal regulation does not specifically ban the practice, the state rules apply. I am glad to have permit as a fish I can occasionally take while speariving. I really do not see the need to prohibit speardivers from harvesting permit as the bag limit for these fish is a mere two per boat. Whether I catch them (permit) on crabs on H&L or spear them a dead fish is a dead fish.

I am glad the present management plan is as conservative as it is since it seems to be working well for the resource. Recently there has been talk of either rewriting the state rule to prohibit ability to enjoy this privilege or leaving things as they are. I hope when the FWC takes the issue up they will take into account the fact that spearfishing is not only the most selective harvest activity (virtually zero bycatch) but also the user group that by comparison contributes to the smallest total number of fish harvested for the species.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts