Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I,m new to this board and would be interested in hearing some opinions on St.Croix surf rods Thanks in advance.

TAP

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. Where do you plan on fishing? Surf,
inlet, bay?
2. What species do you plan on targeting?
3. Bait or lures?

I have a 8' St Croix Tidemaster that I use for fishing the Indian River Inlet (IRI) in Delaware. For this type of fishing I use 1/2-2 oz lures. It also works good in the surf for tossing those 2 oz Stingsilvers for blues or stripers. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the reply. I plan on fishing from the surf mainly for drum. I have two of the premier casting rods from St. Croix and they seem to be very good just wanted some input on the surf rods they offer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The old Ben Doerr line of St. Croix surf rods are nice. Own 3 of them. The 7' (favorite), 8' and 10' all spin models. Very light and capable of achieving great distances. You might want to consider the Medium Heavy and Heavy Power rods for drum.

The Ben Doerrs and Ben Doerr Elites have been replaced with the Premier Surf and Avid Surf this year. Most of the rod blanks are identical to the Ben Doerrs with a couple of new blanks introduced this year.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
They do make a heaver 8-n-bait but most people that fish for drum Go for Custom rods built on All-Star, Breakaway, Outcast or Lamiglas. Tica has a good Budget heaver, as does Pinicale. Some times while Drum fishing you need to toss more tha 8 and a bait.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
So what is the bottom line?If you had to buy a new rod for drummin ,unless you were going to fish the point,you would go with a brand not custom rod?Someone mentioned the sealineX as a excellant choice.What do you guys think? the R

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The rondel the sealine-x is not a heaver. A nice surf rod though.
Ya I forgot the Ocean Master as well as a few others.
Ruedy Most of the time people go Conven' for heavers. It is alot easier on the finger.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have 2, both 12'. The first one I bought was a spinner that I put an 850ss penn on. The other is conventional with a Sealine-X 30SHV on it. I mainly use the spinner for my anchor rod now. As Digger said, the spinner is tough on the fingers. Both are rated 5-9 oz, but I feel they are grossly underrated. Do not confuse these with the new lite version, rated 3-6 oz.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ruedy,

The length depends on the application. The reel has the capacity for drum and cobes, so you could put it on a 12'er, but do you need to throw 8nbait? If not, the 11' would probably suit you and even lob the occasional 8oz.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Shoeless & Digger. Ya answered my questions.......I've got plenty of fishin poles but yet to find a long surf-spin, reacher I'm happy with, and I've got plenty. It sounds like the OM may be the ticket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the 10'6" st. croix ben doerr, med.-heavy action. it rates UP TO 8 oz lures. i think 4-6 oz's is ideal for the rod. it loads great and if you get the right type of reel, you will be amazed of how it throws. its the 2 piece rod, so it is easy to transport too.

by the way...its for sale.

$145.00

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have the 12" OM conventional rod. Handles 5-9 oz. It doesn't start to load until you put 6 oz on it. Put that together with a Daiwa conventional reel and you have the perfect drum setup.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Who makes and sells the OM.Does it fit well for pier use(drummin-cobia).Can it be used for the point(8nbait)? Or should I just go custom?? I want something functional for both pier,surf and point.I have an older 10.5 custom rod but want to update.Do I need to go to 11 or 12 foot? the R

1 - 17 of 17 Posts