Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was young my dad and I use to fish these piers alot, but it has been over 20 years since I've returned to either one. I'll be down in Waycross for thanksgiving and was wondering,for pier fishing, do you prefer SSI or Jekyll pier?
Any fishing reports? Isn't it time for sheepshead? If so that what I will be targeting.

Also, Do any of you know the status of Fort Clinches Pier in Fernandina? Last I heard it would open back up around thanksgiving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
neither for me

Tried em both in the summer too crowded for my taste. I usually go off the SSI causeway to Back River on SSI side... first big bridge onto the island... couple hundred yards down from bridge turn to the left to get bait and then right outta there and right to get under bridge. Sheeps there for sure but I am still learnin to get em. Go either off old roadway or down bank either side. Just my 2cent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Thats kind of advice I was hoping to get.
I realize the 2 piers are a sling shot from each other, just wondered what you like or didn't like about them. I think I know the bridge your talkin about, used to be the old bridge right? I've been to st simons once since then, but that was to play some music at rafters a few years back. I thought I noticed a new bridge, at least it was new in the past 20 years!lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
As far as the piers are concerned just a matter of taste... too many out of towners or at least people who dont understand that flowing water will carry your tackle hehe. I have fished the piers sometimes during the week, but honestly have had more luck and less hassel off the old roadways. FYI trout are running good now, corks or bottom rigged with live shrimp. Should be a few locals around just copy what they do. Sharks have moved out mostly, glad the aggervatin things have gone. Most any of the "new" bridges on the SSI causway have old roadways under them, just watch the turnoffs and be mindful of the traffic. Also no bathrooms which can be a pain if ya take a lady friend or gotta go #2 lol. The baitshop i mentioned is usually open by 6am... cash business tho. Hope you have some fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts