Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any luck at sandy point this week? Plan on going there tommorrow. Anybody caught rockfish,bluefish,or croakers there this week? Went there last weekend and caught two spot 10 inches each. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I was there Wen. evening between 6 - 8 caught one small blue; fishing from the shore just east of the beacon.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I really think the weather is the probelm. Once we have a few nice days the fishing at SPSP should pick up again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usally fish the rock jetties, but I might have to try out the surf once. Do you usally have alot of luck fishing from the beach or do you think I would be better off catching bigger fish from the rock jetties

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I fished there last night from 6:00-11:00. Caught 12 very nice size spot and 5 croakers. I missed quite a lot of them too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Where you been tuna? Haven't seen you around in a while.

I personally only fish from the beach and I have caught a lot of fish both big and small. Mostly only perch, spot, croaker, striper and flounder. The further you cast from the beach there the bigger the fish.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I had car problems and vacation, so been away. We'll, just got a new car. It's 2 days old and smell like fish already. I was actually at your regular spot cause my favorite piece of real estate was taken. I was actually expecting to see you out there last night. So, it's back to regular programming....

·
Registered
597 Posts
I always see that your spot taken, people pile in that spot and cast over each other all the time. It is quite the show. I was there last Thurs. and I was one of 3 people out there and I was in your spot and caught a bunch of croaker and my first flounder from out there. It's been really busy this week but will surely be there next week...hope to catch a few blues and not the sad kind

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I know what you're talking about. If I see someone on that spot and they're not that far out, I'll ask nicely if I could cast over theirs. On hookups, I'll walk towards the right so I don't pull them in. If I'm there first, I'll let others park next to me, but I'll tell them where I'm casting so they don't tangle me up. I'll most likely see you next week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all off the info. Ill probley fish from the beach tommorrow. What size sinker should I use from the beach, and how far would you say I would have to cast out in order to have a chance to catch some bigger fish.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I use mostly 4oz and sometimes 5 oz depending on the conditions. I really don't know how far I cast but I would so at least around 300ft or so. It looks pretty far when I am casting and I seem to most of the time get a fish on every cast out there. I have caught some big croaker and such out there. What sort of setup do you have. Make sure you use a shock leader if you plan on casting those heavier weights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I fish from the jetties I usally use a top bottom rig and bloodworms, what would you suggest I use from the beach.
when I fish from the jetties I usally use two 7 foot rods with 12 pound test. I got a new 9 foot rod that I will probley use tommorrow what # line do u suggest I put on it. Again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I use 20# test on my poles with either a 50 or 60# 20-25' shock leader tied to the end. Some would say that 20# test is overkill and may cut down on my casting distance but I prefer to use it just so I don't have any probelms with breaks and such. Especially at SP around the rocks and rays.

I have been useing hi low rigs as well but I want to try a few bluefish rigs or fishfinder rigs and see if I can have any luck. You probably cannot throw them as far as a hi low but what the h*ll.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FishCatcher, I know that I am not as good as most people here. But this is free voice, so I say it anyway right. I think it is best to have different kind of baits. Use blood worm on one hook, squid on other (or shrimp or cut spot). Remember which hook have what bait. Once you catch a fish you know what bait is the best for that time on that day. At spsp, I think it is different from day to day, from time to time.\
Wishing you a good day fishing and don't forget to post .....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey LO,
That is great advice. Always keep a variety of bait with you. You never know what the fishies will want to eat. Try some chicken as well, yes I said chicken. Would not have thought but it is a good bait, so give it a try. People have had luck with bluefish and chicken.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got back from spsp. I fished there from 6 to 9:30 and caught three spot (all ten inches) , one perch ( about 9 in.) , and two croaker (13 inches). There was fish out there the whole three hours I was there. I used bloodworms for bait ( disapointed with anglers, had some very small bloodworms for $8) Not to bad of a day, could have done worse.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thats not bad FC, nice to see you had a good outing. The fish are there you just need to find them.:)

FYI Never shop at ANGLERS:mad:

·
Registered
374 Posts
fishcatcher,

I see you're from Baltimore. Next time on your way to SPSP stop at Warren's Bait Box in Glen Burnie B&A Blvd (off 97 near the airport). They have the biggest bloodworms in the area. (410) 768-6977

1 - 20 of 39 Posts