Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would try my luck at SP yesterday and also check out the condition of the place. Got there around 2 pm and right away caught 2 blues (12"), after that the fishing was pretty slow but the occasional blue, white perch and toward the evening a 13.5" sea trout. Many other great hits with chicken but no takers.
As far as how the place looks, there is a bit of erosion on the beach area with many concave areas around and a big lake on the beach. During high tide is interesting, I was not paying attention at the bay while I was tending to my pole and next thing I know a wave comes onto the beach and inundates my stuff. I was at least 10' from the water in the first place.
I will try my luck again next week because I believe fishing there will pick up. There is certainly more stuff out there than the last time I went there when I caught only one white perch.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
SPSP and the jetties..

Did you fish the jetties at all for stripers and blues? There is plenty of baitfish in the bay now and the jetties are prime fishing for blues and stripers on poppers fished in the early AM.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't, fished the beach. I want to try next weekend in the morning. I was there in the late afternoon yesterday and the jetties seemed uneventful from what I could see.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THere were about 20 cars in the parking lot. About 6-8 people fishing. I had about 200 ft of beach all to myself. Still $4 per person on weekend and only open until 8pm.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hey you SPSP fishing junkies:p I see the beach is eroded did the point get moved at all. I am thinking about trying it next week or maybe in a few weeks to see if I can get me some trout or nice stripers after work. I will be bringing Anthony with me b/c he hasn't ever fished there before. Looking forward to your reports and you can bet as soon as the fishing gets hot I will be there! :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FL,
THe place looks just about exactly the same but the beach has about 1-2 ft of sand missing in spots. Both points are still there but beward of those waves or you will be swimming. You can see where the water got up to and I think it was just a few feet from reaching the bathroom structure.? Remember from now until the 31st of October SP is open 6am to 8pm for fishermen. It is getting dark earlier now so you can at least get sum dusk fishing in.

If I am a SP junkie than what junkie are you FL? :D

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Well I would normally say I am a choptank junkie but I have been expanding my horizon lately.:eek: If that much sand is gone than you can be sure it is a lot shallower near shore. It is definitely a must to cast farther now than before. How are the rangers doing it now, are they coming out and chasing you guys off like earlier this year? In a couple weeks the time clicks back and I hope we can still fish a piece of dusk then.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
THey came by around 8 pm and chased everyone off. By that time it was aready dark. After Oct 31st I think it closes at 5pm. It really sucks for night fishing but you still have the daytime. It is hard to really say if it is shallower or not. THere were a few ridges on the beach and maybe the sand just got pushed around on the beach as well. I was catching fish in the same spot I always had luck. I am casting out further than before though.

BTW I have been fishing other spots as well, I just have not had much to show for it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BC,
I only used bloods for bait fish, only caught a few perch. Sea trout love chicken and cut bait and blues love that cut bait and the occasional squid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts