Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SPSP report Sat Night 6/28/03

Went out to SPSP last night from 5 to 12 and it was another great night of fishing. The weather was great with a inshore wind and no bugs. The bite started immediately with a total of about 23 fish, many spot, 2 striper, 3 croaker (12", 16", 14.5") and a white perch.
I know the exact numbers becasue I took my girlfriend out fishing here for the first time in the chesapeake and she got to real in all the fish, including the 16" croaker which took a lot of line and put up a good fight. She is finally convinced that you can catch a lot of fish from shore. She is used to fishing in the marshlands of Louisiana and didn't believe me. She found out last night :D :D

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
where

Mr. R D I have never fished sandy point beach before I allways saw people fishing from the rockjetty by the inlet but never thought it productive -guess it could be no worse than Mattapeake! I want to know where you guys fish from, is it by the rocks from the shore - or from the opposite side of the beach? now that I know you can catch fish there i just might go there after work on a search and seizure mission.Be nice to catch a few nice sized croakers got skunked at Assateaque Island fri-sat let me know where, and do take care Tony Q. a.k.a. dcfishman:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well DC,
I have only fished SPSP 5-10 times but each time I was successful at catching something. I like SP especially now in the evening when they throw out the swimmers and the fisherman are only there. Just a note as well the park is technically opened 6am-sunset but for fisherman (everyone must have a pole) it is 24 hr all summer. Attached is a map of the area and the spots that I have fished are between the small boat launch area and the big pine tree to the right of that. That is actually the fishing area but most of the time during the day the swimmers invade the area but it is not that bad.
THe only thin about SP is that from the beach you need to cast out far to get the fish. With swimmers and the fact it is pretty shallow in spots is why. For instance, I was there on Thurs and Sat. in the same spot both nights and both times there was a person on one of the sides of me. I was catching fish one after the other and these people just weren't casting as far and got nothing. Never fails, although you can catch the occasional fish at night in closer but it is really not worth it.
Another thing to content with is the bugs, be sure to bring you bug spray. During really hot and windless nights it could get pretty bad. All you need is a slight breeze though and it is great. Plus sitting on the peaceful chesapeake is just that, peaceful. That is why I go here so often and I always catch something worth while.
So a few things to remember, cast out as far as possible futher the better, make sure you have a license (DNR will check that and your cooler for undersized fish and will ticket you), don't keep undersized fish, no camping on the beach at night (everyone there must have a pole or DNR will throw you out), bring bug spray, no alcohol (DNR will ticket).
The only time it was really slow was the time of a full moon, so try to fish on new or not full moon days. Best time I have found to fish now is in the evening for croaker, spot, perch later in the summer the bluefish will be there in the morning. Fish close to high or low tide, and actually low tide has been the best time for me, go figure, to more shallow the better the fishing? :)

SPSP area Map

·
Registered
720 Posts
Good to see you had a good outing reddog. I went Sunday from 6am til 9pm and almost got skunked until the last moment. Only had one eel to show for the outing after all that fishing (sitting around). The beach was really crowded and jet skis were everywhere. Definately not the place to go fishing during the day with all the people there. I'm sure the jet skis scared all the fish away most of the day. Only saw maybe 6 fish caught, some spots and some perch.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WW,
Sorry to here that but I too had some jet skis going by right in front of me and I still was catching, it could also have to do with the swimmers. The fact that the water is somewhat shallow, at least I think, keep the fish out pretty far when the sun is beating down. Sunday in general seems to be a bad day, but the night clears right out. I was there last week and a lot, lot of people and it was hard to find a spot. During the week is the best time and actually Sat. night was not crowded at all, I was suprised.
WHat I don't understand is how the DNR allows people to swim in the fishing area, which is dangerous in itself since there is a lot of rigs and hooks in that water, but if you are fishing outside the fishing area, you will be not politely be asked to relocate. Never will understand that but I suppose it has to do with money. THey rake in a lot of dough on the weekends.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There were lots of swimmer swimming in the fishing area right in front of many people fishing. It looked really dangerous with people casting and reeling in all the time. Some were asked to relocate but just returned to swimming after the lifeguard left. I was fishing about 50 ft right of the sail boat launch after relocating twice. Way too many snags out there that day. There were at least a dozen jet skis out there and a few people in kayaks. What I don't get is why some people in kayaks have no common sense as to how close they are to shore. I could of hit them using my 6' freshwater rod :rolleyes: Daytime fishing at SPSP during a busy weekend isn't worth the time. Might as well sit back and enjoy the beach. Oh, and is it $4 per person between 5am-8pm now? I thought it was $1 before 6am?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good day RD. I was at SPSP yesterday mornign and then again in the evening and would have got skunked if not for two dinky white perch. I guess I'm not getting my cast out far enough. Would fishing on one of the jetties compensate for this?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WW,
I don't know if it 5am or 6am when they start charging. Best thing to do is call and find out. But I look at it this way, the $4 is for a good cause (helps keep a good, safe area and for the fish research the state does) so what the heck. IF you had a boat you would have to pay for gas, maybe launch fee which would add up to more $. Although you may catch some more fish, with a fish finder and all, it is a trade off. However, I like the idea of not knowing what I am going to catch everytime I reel in.

SF,
THe jetties seem to be a really popular place. I have never fished them but it looks to me that people to ok out there. You sure can cast out into deeper water more easily. If I was you give it a try. The problem with some people is that the get upset when they go out and only catch a few fish but the reality is that you have to fish a specific place at least a few times to really learn the place. Try fishing in different areas, different times of day, different times according to tides (especially a few hours before and after high or low tide) and just talk to people out there and find out what they have had luck with. Your will more than likely find the spot that is best for your style of fishing. Everyone I have met out there at SP have been really great and helpful and eager to talk. I really like that area and I hope it stays nice.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
SPSP

I took a couple of guys to SPSP on Friday night. One of the guys was definately a non-fisherman when we arrived. He ended up catching the bigest croaker of the night. It was also the bigest fish he has ever caught. He is siked to go again. SPSP is so nice that we would have had a good time even if we were skunked (unlikely at SPSP). Catching is just an added bonus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.