Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished left of the point from 3pm to 7pm. Caught only a schoolie. But, people who were right left of us caught a 29 inch rock as we arrived.

I asked a family who were fishing the rock jetties and they said they caught a 40 inch cow and 13 horse croakers. They showed me the horse croaker and it was HUGE!!

Question: when park rangers approach you guys do they ask for ID?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was at Sandy Point also, fished from 8:45am until about 8:15pm (when the ranger told us to leave). Nada, not even a bite but it was a beautiful day.
To answer your question, both times that I've fished SPSP I have been asked for some ID and my fishing license.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Fl Fisherman and myself also fished SPSP from 10-6pm. We caught about 15 small stripers and one 14'american shad. We fished to the left of the point and used bloodies.

M

·
0 Posts
I got there around 6am Sunday and fished until late afternooon, I left with a 30" Striper and saw Jamcaster release a monster unintentionally, the fish had to be at least 38", saw three more caught, two of them by lucky people. The North Beach crowd showed up and completely ruined the day. Never at Sandy Point have I ever seen such rude and unruly behavior, I can see why they would consider closing the park at dark all year, I would support such a move, never thought I would say that. DNR now have to pay close attention to fishermen at the park, some were even fishing without licenses,acquaintances had to claim their fish and cooler.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Weren't the ones fishing without licenses caught? The rangers there are pretty consistent about checking licenses.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Easy solution: 1-800-825-PARK. This will get the SPSP police to your doorstep in a second. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
After catching bubba on Saturday, we decided to hit SPSP Sunday morning for a repeat performance. What a difference a day can make! The weather went from nasty to beautiful and the fish seemed to disappear. We fished from 7:30 am to 10:30 am – using only bloodworms.

We caught and released a couple of nice croaker as well as a few tiny rockfish.

Fished the same spot as the day before – about 100 yards to the left of the point. Interestingly, on Saturday, we were using 3 oz and did not loose a single rig. On Sunday, we had to move up to 4 oz to hold bottom and ended up loosing 10 rigs.

What type of weight do you typically use at SPSP? We were also using pyramids – anyone else using different shapes?

It was great to meet the famous Mcrea and a few other Pierandsurf.com members. I was standing there and saw Jamcaster loose the monster in the suds at the edge of the water…..as I mentioned in the Saturday report, I have seen this happen many times. If you have a big fish and a buddy, have him wade into the water and get between the fish and the deeper water just in case. If someone had been in the water with Jamcaster’s fish, it probably could have been grabbed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts