Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..I can't wait until Memorial day to get to Bethany to do some surf fishing, so I need to wet the lines. Friday morning seems like the best time for me. I am thinking about making a trip to SPSP. I've seen many fishermen fishing along the rockpile as I drive over the bridge.
I'm not asking anyone to divulge secret spots, but I need some advice where to go so I can catch a few Stripers and croakers or anything else that is running. Also, I'll be getting on 50 at 97, is there a bait shop that I can stop on the way and pick up some bloodworms or other bait?
Stupid question - Do I need a bay license?
I'll gladly hook up with some one there tomorrow and return the hospitality if you want to join me at IRI or 3Rs later this summer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The best spot from what others have posted and from what I have experienced this time of year is the Point. When you get to the gate, just ask them where to park for the Point and they will tell you. Bring sand spikes for your rods.

There is a shop called Anglers that is on your right, right before you get to Sandy Point. I think it is the first Whitehall road exit.

You do need a saltwater license, and you can get that at Anglers. If you live in Va, it's cheaper to get a VA license locally because MD and VA saltwater licenses both work.

From what I've seen, croakers and stripers are the main fish running right now, but there are a ton of BIG stripers being pulled off the point. Both will hit bloodworms on a high/low rig.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
When you pull into the park, go straight back and turn left on the road with the metal gate. Follow it back to the water. Park there. Fish the stretch of beach on the left in front of you.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Sharkhunter,

FF and Husky pointed you in the right direction. Bait fishing is tops this time of year...later on lures rule.

We must have missed each other fishing the Hudson. I lived in Peekskil all my life and usually fished Tappan Zee Bridge, Croton Point Park, Roa Hook Peekskill, and Beacon for stripers.

M

·
0 Posts
SharkHunter, if you know of another Tackle Shop other than Anglers, Buy your bait at the other place. I sometimes drive over the Bay Bridge to buy bait, of course I pay $2.50 in toll but I am in a better frame of mind while fishing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would go so far as to say that if you arrive at SPSP during the hours that the Marina Store is open, buy your bloodworms there.

It's high time we orgnaized a boycott of Anglers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Marina Store is the little store at the boat ramp/boat rental area at SPSP; I purchased bloods there last week and believe they also had herring, squid, and the other usual suspects as well as ice and a decent array of "Oh shit, I forgot..." tackle-- sinkers, rigs, hooks, even some Gotchas and such.

Not sure on the hours of operation.

Bob

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Axon and I went last week and bought some bloodies from the marina and they were 10 times better than the ones from anglers. "Nice and plump" Just what them cows like! :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great advice from all, many thanks. I got to SPSP just before 10 am and stayed until 1:30. I caught 5 nice sized croaker, although not as big as the first one that Mcrae pulled out. His must have been around 3 pounds. Thanks for the advice Mcrae.

I saw a lot of croakers being caught on bloodworms and also saw a black drum caught just before I left. Did not see anystripers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
A black drum? C'mon now, you can't just casually lob a grenade like that in here and not provide any details, lol! Anyone?

M

·
0 Posts
Hey Rugger, he is right I was there when the Drum was caught, right off the point, might not have been the legal size though, but the guy put it in his cooler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts