Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only fished SPSP twice and both times it was during the day. I talked with Mcrea while I was there and he told me the beach can get crowded at night.

I'm thinking about going there around 10pm. From your past experiences will the beach be crowded?
And is it relatively safe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
McCrea is right - I have been there during the Summer and it can get crowded. Lots of lanterns lit too.

Safe? Just a phone call away to the SPSP Police who are just up the road at the Marina office.

Remember - No stripers can be kept from midnight - 5 AM.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I was there last night, the right side was quite crowded, but by 10:00 pm, they started to thin out. I've been there around 5 times (nighttime) this month and it seems to me the crowd don't stay too late. BTW, I went home with 22 Croakers and 6 spot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was at SPSP last night too. Great night for fishing, only took home 3 croaker but caught many small croaker and spot. I was all the way to the left closest to the small boat launch.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually this is a stupid question but what type of lantern do people use to fish with at night. I had a cheap battery powered one that I picked up last minute but it attracted all the bugs. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I used blood worms, of course, and I tried cut herring but nothing. I am not sure about the tides but where I was after about 9:30 it was one fish after another. Had two poles and couldn't always keep them both out. Around 11pm things seemed to get really slow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Reddog1 Low tide was 11:19 PM which means you were catching your fish on the outgoing tide, Moving tide to me is the best time to fish, slack tide sit back and have a drink. :cool:

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
RedDog1...Get yourself a dual mantel Coleman propane. Been using one for years and it's the best.

Catman.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
RedDog1, hey that was me on you right with the propane lantern. I really wanted to invite you over next to my spot cause they were hitting pretty good. They hit even better after you left. Yeah, I had those battery powered lanterns before (2 of them), the batteries lasted around 5 hrs that cost me over 7.00 bucks per lantern. So, I chucked them for the propane.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I appreciate that, it was my first time fishing up there and I had a new pole that I hadn't casted before. I didn't want any mishaps. But I look forward to meeting you out there sometime. I am going with that propane lantern, I hate buying batteries as well.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sounds good. Yup, look forwarding to meeting you too. Next time, just come on over and say hello. Since it was kind of dark and I probably won't recognize you, but I'll be at the same spot with a 12 ft with either a red or yellow taped pole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts