Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone.

I'm Jim - and I'm new to fishing this area, but not new to fishing... ;)

I'm interested in doing some evening fishing at Sand Point State Park, and I'm curious what type of rigs and bait would be recommended - and what type of rod/reel and line.

I have a nice Salmon rod, 9' with a medium action that's designed for 10-20lb line, to throw a 1/2 to 2 oz lure or bait. This should be OK for the type of fish in the area, shouldn't it? What do ya'll recommend?

I have one of the baitfish rigs that includes 6-8 small lures, which is intended for getting small baitfish - but I read in the Maryland regs that more than 2 hooks is not allowed - is this exempted for baitfishing or not?

Thanks in advance for your help - and I look forward to seeing you on the jetty... :cool:

Jim

·
Registered
374 Posts
welcome to the board. :)

When baitfishing, you are allowed up to 2 hooks and not more. The only time you can exceed 2 hooks is if your lure came equipped that way in the package.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
SPSP jetties are the place to fish lures - especially early morning in the Summer. Use topwater plugs (Floating Rapalas, Mirrolure Top Pups, ZaraSpook, Rebels, etc.) and cast the lure to stripers and blues that are feeding on baitfish. This is the key - follow the baitfish as they boil on the surface. This means packing light with one rod and a small lure box. A small rod of 7' or 8' with 12-15 lb test works great casting those 1/2 to 2 oz lures.

I also use metal lures on the jetties to catch fish that are not herding baitfish in the early AM hours. Favorites are Stingsilvers (with bucktail teaser), Hopkins spoons, and Krockadyles.

Lures rule! :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Jim,
for night fishing at Sandy Point you will want to soak bait (bottom fish).
Your salmon rod will work, but isn't the best. Two ounces won't always hold bottom with the current. I have some small rods I throw 2 ounces out on (use a pyramid sinker or weight as it holds bottom better) and I catch fish with them at Sandy Point.

It would be better to get a rod that can hold 3 ounces or more. But, use what you have and see how you like it.

You want a standard bottom fishing rig.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
That Salmon rod is good for throwing lures off the jetty;Stingsilvers,rattletraps,plugs,and jigs.However,I wouln't use that rod for soaking bait;get yourself a Surf Rod,11-13'rated for 1-6oz's with a moderate heavy-heavy action.For baitfishing you want to use pyramids,strorm,or sputnik,sinkers in a 2-8oz size on dropper,fishfinder,or 3-way rigs.
I like dropper rigs,because they casts the farthest.The best bait right now seems to be bloodworms;but cut fish,clam snouts,squid,or purdue peeler(chicken) will work too.Long casts are needed to catch fish there too at least 90+yds.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It all depends on his rod. I agree, a surf rod is best. But there was a guy who was a regular at NB a few years back who used a salmon rod and threw a 2ounce (might have been 3) when everyone else was using surf rods. He used to catch some really nice trout.

Also, there are a few guys (like cutbait) who fish SPSP almost exclusively with small 6 and 7 ft rods and do just fine.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
And the large rays move into this area during the Summer. My bigest from SPSP was almost 70 lbs and had a 4 foot wingspan. These fish are real bruisers and can burn you and your equipment out!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Quite a few times I used that type of Salmon rod at Solomons,when I first started fishing.I caught Flounder,Spot,and Croaker;casting and retriving a bottom rig and it tossed a 2oz bank sinker as far as 110yds,and back then I didn't know how to surf cast.I bet I can cast farther with that rod now. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts