Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey I was out there. I caught 1 white perch, 5 bluefish (10-12") many small striper, 8" and my first keeper striper at 23". Overall it was very windy but at around 11 the winds died down and it was a great day. I fished till around 1:30 when I ran out of bait.

Finally got my keeper, hey Tunafish and FL FISHERMAN :D :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well im glad somebody caught something. What time did you reel in the rock?

know that I know the rock and blues are there I just have to figure out how to catch them:D

Ill probley head back down there sometime this week and give it another try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So happy to read your report, RD. Good job, finnally blues are in. Not as many and big as one would like but knowing that "blues are in" is good enough. After a few weeks of nothing (few perchs and keeper rock fish, one for every ten hours), can't wait for those hard hit, continuos bending rods from sharp teeth blues.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah the bite picked up after you left and the winds died down. This is my first year at SP as well. I fish there a lot. Next time stop by and say hi, I am the one with yellow tape on the end of my rods.

LO,
The blues were out in numbers, the little ones are even pretty fun. The rod was going crazy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I might be down there next weekend if i dont go out on the boat. It seems like everybody is catching all the bigger fish fishing from the beach. I tried that today but most of my sinkers are 1 to 2 onces and my rod has 12# test . I dont think i was getting it out far enough. What # test do you use when fishing from the beach

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just spooled mine with 65 # power pro but before that I was using 20# mono with a shock leader. I was using today between 4 and 6 oz. I wasn't getting out as far as I would have liked because the wind was working against me. You were fishing in the spot where FL fisherman and Tuna fish caught there keeper stripers. So you have a good spot there. However there are a lot of snags. TO avaid this just reel in a fast as possible and the weight will remain close to the surface. Fishing in the evenings there is good as well. I do a lot of night fishing and catch croaker, spot, perch and striper but daytime seems to be owned by the bluefish.

I like fishing from the beach more than a boat. I know on a boat you can catch a lot of fish and move around to different spots but I like sitting peacefully on the beach and enjoy the sunrise and sunset.
Boats are fun but can be a lot of work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice reddog. Im going to have to re-string one of my rods before next weekend.

I agree it it alot more relaxing on the beach then if you are out on the boat.

Today with the ugly stick I couldn't really feel the bites so I switched over to the shimano because it is a little smaller. Then I could feel the perch when they were messing with the bait. The ugly stick is 8 1/2 feet and I couldn't feel the bites.....any advice
thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
It was really tough today with the wave action and the wind. I just waited until my rod started to vibrate unusually. That indicated to me that it was not the surf.
I use between 10' and 12' rods. I have a 12' ugly stick and that thing is very sensitive.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Bout darn time reddog1!! Nice catch. Got into some blues huh. Yeah them little buggers are pretty fun. They will tear some bait up though. I might be able to make it out there some time next week. I will let ya know. Congrats on the keeper! You must of been praying to the fishing gods real hard lately!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
NICE reddog,
Finally some bluefish!!! your first one's right? I really wanted to fish with you guys before I left, but didn't have the time this week. I'm glad that you caught some nice fish this weekend. SPSP was sounding pretty bad lately. Those blues are great fun, even the small guys. Hope to hear some good reports from you while i'm up in MA. Gonna try some surf fishing up there too. :D

-addicted

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey addicted,
yes my first bluefish. Small though. It has been a slow here the last month or so. Hope to hear some good reports of fishing up there. Good luck with school and everything. See you next summer or maybe in between for some striper fishing at SP.

RD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all-

I was out there also!!! I actually went out at 1AM and left at 11:30AM. I was to the right (approx 100 yds) of the rock pile with the two green and camo chairs. I only had one (white) pole though.

I had no luck... but I think it may have had something to do with my hooks. I was using 3/0 black octopus circle hooks. I had a bite on something at roughly 9:30AM but he got right up to shore and took my bait (bastard). That would've been my first fish... EVER!!!

I had no luck but the gentleman to the right of me (we arrived at the same time, but he left earlier... 7AM or 8AM) had lots of luck. He must of brought in roughly 8 croakers (9"+) and I know he also caught a Norkfolk spot (I think thats what he called it... the gentleman was deaf so I couldn't completely make out the name).

Anyways... I'm not giving up!!! I think I'll be there again next weekend (although, not that early).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.