Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well made it out there to SPSP at 8 pm. Wasn't planning on fishing but met reddog, old bay, tunafish, master caster, and good old mcrae(I will go into that later, trust me check open forum) Glad to meet some new guys! Will definitely see you again. Threw my first pole in not far from where big rad and I did the night before. Rigged and baited my other pole and was about to cast it when WHAMO! Rod bent in half! Gave her a little yank and started to reel. Had some good weight to it so I was hoping Striper. reddog came over just as I beached her. A beautiful 24" striper! On my first cast! Fish gods were on my side. Threw my other pole in and caught a 10" striper. Then sunset. Then nothing, zippo, zilch. Bite was gone. Like I said prime time there is from 7 to 9, proved itself again. I sure got lucky, I was actually able to outfish Mcrae! When i left he had only caught a few perch and one spot. Speaking of spot they were no where to be found. The night before the jumbos were out in force, tonight they were gone. Fish were caught on bloodworms. Conditions were humid with little or no breeze so the bugs were swarming! All in all a great night. tunafish got him a nice fish but I will let him tell ya about it. Tight Lines!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Well since FL already filled everyone in I was not as lucky as him and Tuna but I mostly caught striper in the 8-12" range with a few white perch and a single ray mixed in. In all it was good early (a lot of smallies that is) but the bite died off late. It was great to meet some other P & S guys and look forward to fishing with you guys again.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry reddog your time is coming. Come fall with your gear, bait and technique you are gonna get you some nice ones. I just hope I am there next to ya doing just as good!:D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Sandcrab, that is a negative.

We'll, FL Fisherman, I'm glad you went to that spot. The very same spot I warned OldBay about getting snagged so he setup where MCrae was (felt kind of bad). But OldBay, true to my words, I lost two rigs due to getting snagged. Since what FL told me was true, I tried it and whammo, finally got my keeper. It was 21". In addition to my lone spot, this made it a worthy evening. Glad to have met MAster Caster, and Oldbay.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

Nice to meet all of you last night. I have scientifically concluded that putting the wrong bait in the right place catches few to no fish. I have to bite the bullet and get some blood worms next time. TunaFish - I now understand that by "snag" you meant "keeper rockfish". :D

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good job guys!

Congrats on the catches of Rock guys!! I also would like to thank you guys for the donation of terminal tackle to good ole mother earth! Every now and then I hit a snag and pull it loose only to find a treasure trove of weights, hooks, and rigs. That is one of the hazards of fishing that spot;) But as I have stated before, I have yet to be skunked while fishing there!

Now I have to go back and catch a bigger rock than FL.......:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! I lost 2 rigs last night there too. Most of those snags we get are from an old sunken wooden ship from about 40 years ago. Mcrae told me it actually sank right out in front of the big tree. The tides are slowly pushing it down the beach and I bet in a few years it will be way out in the bay. In spring when using spider wire on our reels Axon got snagged there and ended up pulling in a piece of plank! Had to weigh about 50 lbs and was actually in pretty good shape for being in the water for so many years.:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah would seem like that. Also there is a nice sandbar built up from the current there and if you get it past it, you better hold on to your pole because you are gonna catch a fish.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hard to believe

That's kind of amazing. You were just telling me how Big Rad caught his at the spot you pointed out. Then on your first cast, baam, you got yours. Then, I figure, why the heck not? And wham, got mine. It worked just like text book. BTW, that was my first keeper at SPSP this year, so, I know where those suckers are hiding now.:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
It was really hard to believe, I am going to get my keeper one of these days. You better believe I will keep trying.

Bitter,
where you guys been the last few days? Thought you were coming to SP this week

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah we just got to get reddog and oldbay one! I am telling you we are doing really good this year with summer stripers, of course we are taking the hit on a terrible year for trout and blues. Just wait for fall my friends. Hopefully the weather will work out and we will be all catching some nice rockfish!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Will do. Last night was one of the first nights I didn't catch a rig out there. Been pretty lucky catching junk, like the plastic bag and sock I caught a few weeks back. Now all I need to catch is fish.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He He they are out there reddog, sometimes you just have to pray to the fishing gods the night before. And they might answer you.:D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes sir I sure did pray to the fish gods the night before when Big Rad caught his. Plus I saw a shooting star and I closed my eyes and said please let me catch a nice striper....:p :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts