Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to SPSP by 11am, had lines in the water by 11:30am. Left at 2:55pm..

Caught:

24 spot
3 3inch Croakers (released)

And only used a half bag of bloods.. :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I see you stocking up ...I need to get out there and get mines

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im just getting started. those spot will make great bait sep-nov..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
how will these make good bait months from now, when less than days old bait from OC shops (including ones that are favored here) suck? seriously.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was a SPSP last evening from about 7pm till 11pm. Caught about 3 dozen fish evenly split between 5-6" spot and 6-7" croaker. All went back swimming. I was using 2 rods with top & bottom rigs and 1 rod with fish finder. Bait was BWs and FBBW. Both saw the same action but I did notice that I had more successful hookups with the FBBWs. After the sun went down was when the action picked up. Could only handle keeping two lines with bait in the water at this time. Guy next to me did get about a 15" blue.

Lost 4 rigs during the evening. I thought I knew where all the snag monsters were. Apparently I found a new one.

Mosquitos started to lightly munch on me after dark. nothing a little bug spray couldn't solve.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
how will these make good bait months from now, when less than days old bait from OC shops (including ones that are favored here) suck? seriously.

I think K-Man is intent on salting the bait and freezing them (vacumn packing) for the Fall run and large drum at AI...

Ain't that right K-Man? ;)

Sandcrab

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't speak for everyone elses bait.. I gut my bait then salt it... among other things it works for me.. I have used fresh bunker on one rod and my salted spot on another and the spot does AT LEAST as well as the fresh..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you got that right... There will be a time soon when spot will be worth it's weight in gold... then you won't be able to find it... for the small group of us that fish once the warm weather is long gone.. :D

I think K-Man is intent on salting the bait and freezing them (vacumn packing) for the Fall run and large drum at AI...

Ain't that right K-Man? ;)

Sandcrab

·
Registered
288 Posts
Salted Spot

I plan on trying the salted spot this fall too. Do you add any brine or do you just cover the salt with kosher salt? Once you vacuum seal do you put it in the fridge or freezer? Does the salted spot get mushy like frozen spot or does it firm up a bit?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I plan on trying the salted spot this fall too. Do you add any brine or do you just cover the salt with kosher salt? Once you vacuum seal do you put it in the fridge or freezer? Does the salted spot get mushy like frozen spot or does it firm up a bit?
Hey Titus, alot of people do their brining differently but I think the important thing is to gut the spot before salting, as KMW does. The stomachs of the fish contain juices and enzymes that eat through the fish and that's what make the fish flesh mushy. If you gut and then salt, you're removing the enzymes. Then you vacuum seal and freeze. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. My experience with salting baits has been with mainly shrimp. I already have a spot reserved at AI for the 3rd week. Going to be fun. Havent had a chance to wrestle with a drum yet.

As far as gutting the fish goes...
Should I gut the fish as soon as I get home?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I do is scale, and gut mine.. Some I cut in chunks, and others a freeze whole. Either way Isalt them (kosher salt) and put them in a ziploc bag and punch holes at the bottom of the bag. Then I put a couple paper towel in the bottom of a bowl and place the bag on top.. I sit mine in the fridge 4 24 hours... You will be suprised how much juice comes out of 12 spot!!!!! once I do that I put them in a freezer bag and put them in my bait freezer.. (yes I have a bait freezer thanks to Ms. Walker lol) you will notice that the fish doesn't totally freeze.. it get's a little hard but nowhere as hard is regualer frozen fish. I personally think salted spot are better then fresh bunker... but that's just my opinion..

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gut mine asap... you will notice the meat gets softer after a couple hours of catching them

·
Registered
135 Posts
great advice...thats what makes this site great. I may have to try that,,,well, just to try that....i'll have to hide them behind the icecream though, as i dont have a 'bait freezer'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts