Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Althought the weather was misserable, the rockfish were biting big time on Saturday on the point. A rockfish hit my rod so hard it knocked it right out of the sand spike! I was using blood worms with a 3 ounce weight. It ended up being a 30 inch 11 lbs rock. About 5 minutes later another guy from the PS board to my left pulled in a rock that had to be at least 35 inches. Then less than 10 minutes later a guy who was in between the two of us caught a 32 incher. 3 big keepers within 20 minutes of each other!

A guy to my right seemed to be pulling in horse croakers every time he casted out and also caught a 29-30 incher rockfish later in the day.

I was a bit skeptical about the rockfish hitting as well as everyone has been posting, but it's true. All in all a great day regardless of the weather. Wish the big rocks hit like this all year.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All,

I recently found this site and have been a “lurker” for the past several weeks. I finally got a chance to get away this weekend and hit the beach at SPSP with a friend. My buddy was the big man on the beach Saturday morning and pulled in a 38” rockfish. We measured the fish to the inside of the fork in the tail – if you went to the end of the tail, it would be 39”.

Here is the best part of the story – this was my friend’s first rockfish! We were standing there in the rain and wind discussing what a bite should look like when the rod next to him almost went into the water – as the line started peeling off the reel I told him that was probably a bite and he should pick up the rod and start reeling. At one point, the lines started to get crossed and I fought the fish for about 10 seconds while untangling the lines. After that, I handed the rod back to my friend…..do I get to count this a personal best for myself? Once the fish was in the suds, I got in the water and made sure I was between the fish and the deeper water as I pushed it up onto the beach – I have seen too many fish lost at the water’s edge.

Although I did not catch a keeper rockfish, I managed to put 5 nice croaker in the cooler and released several small rockfish and croaker.

We arrived at 8:00 am and had out first croaker in about 2 minutes on the first rod while we were tying rigs on the others. Caught fish on single hook Breakaway rigs and the long hi/low rigs described on Stripersurf.com. Used 2/0 to 4/0 baitholder and circle hooks with 3 oz to hold the bottom. Used fresh cutbait and blood worms – not a single hit on the cutbait. Big fish was caught at 9:00 am on a hi/low rig.

Action was pretty consistent until 10:00 am when everything except for a couple micro-rockfish shut down. Ran out of bait around 11:00 am and went home.

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.