Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I got the bug bad when I got my 36" yesterday and decided, "Hell, it's opening week, clients can wait..." and headed back to the beach today.

Got there at 10.30 to find a decent number of folks on the beach but the going was s-l-o-w early. Started getting some juvie stripers around 12.30 or so, but that dried up too. I was throwing bloodworms on a standard bottom rig from the point.

About 2pm, though, my rod went off out of the blue. I accidently opened the drag a hair too much and realized that I had a big fish on when the line went out so quickly that it formed a huge birds nest-- ugh. Well, I managed to get about half of the tangle sorted out but realized I wouldn't do any better than that so I just tightened down the drag and started reeling (and praying, lol) in the hopes that the fish wouldn't break me off.

I lucked out-- the line held and I beached a fat 32" rock-- my second 30"+ keeper in two days, meaning, probably, that I won't catch so much as a croaker until July 4th ;)

I switched over to squid on one rod and bloods on another hoping to find some afternoon croaker, but no luck there.

Great day at the beach-- I met Sandcrab and his friend Julie-- she of the 38" Opening Day fish-- and watched her land a 31" fish today on a lightish rod & reel that made the feat all the more impressive. Also fished most of the day with Scorpion Ray from the board, whose luck didn't show up today, and of course McRae was down the beach and got his customary keeper!

Tight Lines--

Bob

M

·
0 Posts
Hi Rugger, I think you meant Sandflea not Sandcrab, By the way I hope you got your keeper Sandflea, any croakers after I left?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL< yeah, been that kinda day-- SandFlea, lol.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
It was a good day. I also got a 32" on the same rod just before we left as the rain started to set in. We've gone there three days and have not gotten skunked a single time--I think we're going to quit while we're ahead on the spring striper run :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey, Rugger it was nice to meet you and sandflea today. Thanks for not mentioning that julie was in the same spot as i was in after i was there all day and got zipped, she stepps in and lands a keeper!!!!! i still had a good day with you guys. i will probably be back monday if you want to hook up. let me know.
:D

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm planning on going Monday and maybe even Sunday also. Hopefully I can catch one before I deploy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts