Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son Kyle and I stopped by Warren's Bait Box for some fat Bloods and we were on the beach by 2:30 pm. We immediately started catching dink rock fish and the occasional perch. At about 4:30 one of the guys fishing with a small rod began fighting what I knew would be a keeper. Yes! He pulled in a 22 inch rock. Then the next guy had a monster hit and pulled in another keeper. These guys were only casting out about 40 yards!

Well I was thinking that I would be next. My keeper came about an hour later! A fat 24 incher. I was getting kinda worried, thinking I was casting too far out. As darkness fell the bites just stopped. I reeled in my lines to find double headers of small perch. It was time to leave. I was surprised that the game warden didn't come run us off!

The guys using cutbait got skunked. All the rock and perch were caught on bloods:rolleyes:

·
Registered
467 Posts
where is Warrens Bait Box???

Hey Big Rad,

Where is warrens??? Im tired of the cheap worms from anglers. I need some decent worms for tomorrow morning.

MC

·
Registered
69 Posts
warren's

Warren's Bait Box
7403 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd, Glen Burnie,
(410) 768-6977

Looks like it's just south of Baltimore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MC there is a place in Cheverly that sells Bloods. Last time I got some they were so big and rowdy it was unreal. I am not sure of the name but it is about one block before the public playhouse. There is a liquor store/carry out and a store beside it, that is the place. You must enter through the liquor store. It's a small place but they have been having some nice ones.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Nice Catch!

Nice catch Big Rad! I hope he does well for ya on the table!:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
SPSP and some good blooworms to be had

Picked up some bloods at Angler's this morning on the way to SPSP. These were actually pretty enormous - fat, active, and bbbbllllloooooodddddyyyyyyy (ewwww, for those who know how I feel about 'em).

SPSP on the other hand was a bust. Very windy and nothing biting for me. :(

Got a bunch of the big fat bloodworms left - how do I keep 'em alive for a few days until the next outing? What's the max they'll hang in there?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The name of the bait store is Cheverly Sports Fair its on RT202 just west of the parkway.They have the best Bloodworms in Maryland;last time I was there they were $6.50 a dozen.:cool:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well...........

I usually fish the moving tide in the evening. Incoming or outgoing, just so it is moving! I keep my bloods alive by removing them from the plastic bag and placing them in a plastic container lined with a paper towelput the "grass" in then the worms on top. I keep mine in the crisper.

I'm sorry to hear that y'all didn't have any luck. I am now wondering where on the beach you guys are fishing:( ...

There is a section on here about reading a beach that has helped me tremendously! You'll have to spend a day there watching the wave action but it is worth it! I actually move up to "the point" when the tide is really running hard......and I move more into the cusp of the beach line on an incomming. I'll meet you guys out there one day soon............:D and give up my spots or should I say "share" my spots.........

TIGHT LINES TO ALL

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to mention...........

The fish was very fat and had a four inch fish in his stomach. There were no lessions at all.

We are eating him now and he is marvelous!! There is a large chunk of meat right behind the head that was sweet...........:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Jedi

I'm glad you listened to what I was saying last night. The first time is the hardest. Nothing that a little soap and water won't handle. I know one guy who uses surgical gloves. Put the worms and grass in a container and turn them every day. The container needs to be in the fridge.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Good report. SPSP seems to be producing some nice fish from time to time. So does SPSP's hours change as of this weekend? Something like it now closes at 5pm and it's $1 per car to get in right? If that's the case, I might have to make a visit. Pretty relaxing place to fish if the wind isn't howling.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering the same thing...

As I said in my report for Saturday, the wardens didn't chase us off the beach like they usually do. My son did comment on the truck blocking the access road (ranger inside) keeping people from entering. With daylight savings time upon us that shouldn't impact us too much anyway:rolleyes: . The bite has been strictly perch after dark, for me anyway.........

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aero, it was still gross. Dripping blood like someone with a cut throat. Yuck. :barf:

But yes, I did cave in to yours and Ralph's calling me out on it. I think I'll go to just throwing Hopkins from now on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts