Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cold winter we are having may be a blessing. It's more than likely that the rock spawning run will be delayed by a month or so because of the cold water temps. What this means to the shore fisherman is that there will still be plenty of trophy rock up to the base of Conowingo Dam when the regular season opens May 16th. This happened about 6 yrs. ago and they were catching trophy rock (+35" class) from the shore below the dam. I know a lot of guys have never fished that far north but this should be an opportunity not to be missed. I know I'll be there.

Catfish formerly known as Catman.:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I am all for it my friend. I'll be getting in touch with you later.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
details please

what size gear at conowingo? Lures or bait? Where the heck is conowinebago?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
OK. Rt.1 crosses the susquehana at the dam. So is there ample parking and easy access to the fishing?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'v been there a couple of times a few years ago(when my son was in the Boy Scouts there's a camp up there) and yes there is ample parking in the area,boat ramp.See what catfish(a.ka. catman) has to say about it,that's his old stomping grounds.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Here is more

information on the Cownowingo dam on past threads.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
so is it open?

one of those strings said the dam was closed after 9/11

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Catman said it is open but since 9/11 a lot of the fishing places near the damn have been closed off due to heightened security. I plan on making a trip there but am going to go with someone who knows the area.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Conowingo is worth a try!

Hey Husky,You can fish there just not from the catwalk(a very good spot)The guys at work said my 7' Tica 3/4-3oz would be fine to use for the fish there.If you ever wade around there and the lights on the Island start blinking and the horns blow get to high ground immedately and watch out for the big wall of water.The guys I work with fish up there all the time.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Husky...How you're going to fish is largely determined by the amount of water being released through the dam. In a matter of minutes the river can go from lazy to rageing and rise 4' This is damn important when you're standing on a rocks shore line. Soft plastics such as BA's, Sassy Shads and Storm Wilds Eyes are the most popular when the current is swift. Shallow running hard baits work well in calmer currents. If you've never fished Conowingo before you need to be with someone who is familar with water. IMHO Conowingo is the most productive water in Maryland. Very seldom does the skunk swim there.

Nick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
CAtfish, are you sure the regular season for rockfish is mid-May? For some reason I keep thinking that you couldn't keep any rock until June...please set me straight. Also, what's your secret on catching the trophy fish?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can't keep any rock caught a Conowingo until June 1st. I don't have any secret for catching trophy rock seeing that I've never caught one that big.:D My biggest to date from there is around 25" caught on an albino BA with an 1 1/2 oz head.

Catman.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Catman...I have lots of luck throwing blue and chrome broken back bomers and chartruese rubber shad. I know guys that were using jumbo size Sluggos and they swear up and down by them. They even fish Sluggos under a bobber!!!! When June hits and the water is low, top water plugs can deliver your limit fairly quick.

Last year mid June around 11pm I had a hit on a Broken Back Blue and Chrome Bomber that was fierce and caught me totally off guard. The fish hit and nearly spooled me before I locked down and broke off. Damn never stopped running!!! I had a 7'6" med heavy Loomis rod and a model 4000 Sustain reel with 12lbs test. It must've pulled about 6 yards of line with the drag down the whole way. I saw a big swirl but could not verify what it was...in my mind it was a monster rock!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts