Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be fishing this week at Springmaid Pier, and maybe some surf fishing on the beach. How are the fish biting? What would be a good bait and set up? Also where can I fish at Murrels Inlet?
Do I need a SC fishing Lis. to fish at Murrels Inlet? Thanks!!! Rick:fishing::fishing:

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
At MI, you can fish the pier there by Captain Dick's Marina (the old veterans pier).

Unlike NC, you won't need a license.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Only if using a cast net for other than shrimp, fishing from a private boat, or transporting fish in a private boat.
Or shrimping over bait.

You'd think they'd make the laws simple, but no, they write too many tickets for that. :rolleyes:

What's biting...you might catch a few flounder, some pompano off the beach, maybe whiting, heard there are blues starting to school again but I'm not sure.

For bait, mud minnows or finger mullet on a Carolina rig for the flounder, sand fleas and shrimp for the pomps and whiting, whiting also like finger mullet fillets, blues will hit the cut finger mullet and shrimp, I don't know about sand fleas.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Or shrimping over bait.

You'd think they'd make the laws simple, but no, they write too many tickets for that. :rolleyes:

What's biting...you might catch a few flounder, some pompano off the beach, maybe whiting, heard there are blues starting to school again but I'm not sure.

For bait, mud minnows or finger mullet on a Carolina rig for the flounder, sand fleas and shrimp for the pomps and whiting, whiting also like finger mullet fillets, blues will hit the cut finger mullet and shrimp, I don't know about sand fleas.
Shrimping over bait requires a separate licenses in addition to a Saltwater licenses. A shrimping over bait licenses is $25.00 resident $500.00 nonresident.:eek:

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Nonresidents must really want some shrimp, huh? :D I was looking that the other day.
And yes you have to send in a separate form to get a shrimping license, I'm not sure if you can get one at a bait shop or not.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There are NO shrimp bait license for out of state. They can be on the boat with a license holder and watch but, can't throw the net or drive. Bait season is 60 days in Sept-Nov. Strongly advise you be legal if you go. You will be checked. DNR is tight on the rules for it too. Don't even have bait stuff in the boat on the water before legal time opening day.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
for fishing, pier fishing is suggested and you can walk out to the huntington beach jetties(murrells inlet). bait(mullet and shrimp, and live mud minnows)
lures(got-cha plug, sting slivers)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
There are NO shrimp bait license for out of state. They can be on the boat with a license holder and watch but, can't throw the net or drive. Bait season is 60 days in Sept-Nov. Strongly advise you be legal if you go. You will be checked. DNR is tight on the rules for it too. Don't even have bait stuff in the boat on the water before legal time opening day.
Got more info? The Rules and Regs on the SC DNR site (www.dnr.sc.gov) has the application, and it says Amount of Money Enclosed (Circle One) $25 Resident $500 Non-Resident for a shrimp baiting license...

·
Registered
390 Posts
You are misinformed on this.
Here is a direct link to the downloadable Shrimp baiting licenses in PDF format.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/shrimpbaitinglic.pdf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts