Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is going on the May 10th headboat trip aboard the Morningstar? There was a lot of interest in the beginning but it seams to have died out. I've reserved 2 spots. Looking forward to catching some sea bass and tog after this long, snowy winter.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings catman!

Can't make any committments for May until I find out when NJ Fluke season opens. Isn't this the limited seating $75.00/per person trip?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I might go, but I'm not ready to commit yet. To be honest, for the price of this trip you could get six guys together and have a private charter on one of the many boats out of IR or lewes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Jake,
NJ fluke opener is a big factor for me too. Where are you going? I will either trailer my boat up to Shark River, the Manasquan, or Shrewsbury. If I do not take my own boat, then I will be on either the Captain Cal or Big Mohawk.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duke... I know what you're saying and I agree but it's hard for me to find 4 or 5 other guys. If we can get enough guys together I wouldn't mind do that either. I've gone out on a couple of make up charters out of OC for tuna but you have to be able to turn on a dime. Last trip I had 10 hours notice. These are trips where someone drops out at the last minute and they need another person to share expenses.

Later this spring I should have a new ride (26' cuddy) on the Chesapeake. Perhaps we can get together and have some fun. Trigger said he'd go anytime.

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If anyone is up for a private charter, I will jump on it. I know a boat that does 8 hour 10 man wreck fishing charters for $600. $60 bucks a pop is cheap! They have a great reputation too. I could fill 3 of 10 spots in a hearbeat.

I have a boat now, but it is small. I am looking at upgrading to something in the 30 foot range this summer. I'd love to swap trips on the Chessie for trips on the ocean.

No matter how big of a boat I have, I will always do my share of surf and pier fishing.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duke....Count me in for the 4th spot. Where is the charter out of?

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Catman,

I was thinking of the Grizzly out of Lewes. The skipper is well known as a tog expert and the boat can handle upto 16 passengers vs the usual 6. I think 10 heads would be a nice number of people.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duke....Sounds good to me. I'll see if I can round a couple of guys up. Any idea when we can make this happen? What's his charter charge? Just guessing but probably around $450.00 - $500.00 for the first 6 and $50.00 - $60.00 for each over 6. Or is he one of the smaller headboats? At any rate I'm game.

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
$600 for up to 10 people for 8 hours. After that there is a pp charge. I'd like to limit it to 10 people though.

This is definately not a head boat, but a large charter boat. He is licensed for up to 16 people.

I'd like to go in June after the tog limit goes back up(depending on the new regs), also should be plenty of seabass, and the odd ling, trigger fish, and sheepshead around at that time.

I am willing to write a check for 3 spots immediately if we get a few more other interested parties.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Yo catman! A $60.00 charter at ten people sounds good, but it can't intefere with the NJ fluke opener. I may be able to talk my buddy Ed into going (especially if I'm driving!)

Yo Jamey! Ed and I will be aboard Capt Andy's Fish-N-Fun out of Margate. The progressive pool starts at $900.00. The regular pool each trip is around $60.00. Check out Captain Andy's Marina:
http://www.capt-andy.com

The fluke will be in the back bays, and its not often that a 2.5 lber can get you $900.00. The boat supplies live killies (minnows) and squid strips, but you may want to buy mackeral and use a bucktail/mackeral strip combo. (That's the ONLY tip I'm giving away!) Boats (they have two) leave at 8:00 AM, but we expect to be there at six to snag a corner seat. Its a 4 hr trip, so you'll be back in at 12:00 noon. Leave your gear onboard, buy a PM ticket, and have lunch across the street at Maynard's Pub. Back out at 1:00 PM, back in at 5:00 PM.

And if that's not enough fishing for you, the Longport jetty is a mile down the road...or you can cross the bridge and try for tog at the new pier!

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jake....What's the date of the NJ fluke opener? If we schedule around you we've got at least 5. I'm pretty sure I can get at least 1 more but need a tentative date. Anyone else out there want to join the fun?

Catman.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If we stick with an early june date, we should be fine. Fluke openner will probably be in mid may, if not earlier. We are actually being cut some slack by NMFS this year.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
This trip sounds like a lot of fun. I would definitely be interested in this trip. Can I join as well?
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
and another one here. 60 bucks can't beat it. hey jamey they don't rent poles like the head boat you were talking to us about before do they? if not mike and i will have to work on getting set ups for the trip

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
as for the pic nothing like a good looking woman with a fluke in one hand and 4 g in the other. oh the potential.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts