Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakecarper View Post

Wow, now THIS sounds like an interesting event Carp peak in the shallows May/June as well...you never know what's gonna tank your bait away

Hope you can make it.;)
BTW how's the train layout coming along?

·
Registered
546 Posts
For a Christmas present the Missus granted me 1/2 of the basement as Train Room. I have the design complete mentally (branchline) and partially via Anyrail software, materials ready to seal the floor and block walls. I've been buying O scale 2 rail locomotives lately; got 5 and bidding on another ebay right now. So...coming along!

aka Pat Kelly

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Pat if I was gust starting knowing what I know now, I'd definitely go 2 rail scale. Glad your making progress. Hope you can find time to join us at The Tank.

AKA Wild Mary

·
Registered
546 Posts
You are absolutely right. That's one reason why I chose The Tank for our tournament. There's plenty of room so there's no crowding and you can catch them anywhere along the pier. I might add though, for the bigger cats they'll be towards the far end of the pier in deeper water.;):fishing:
Navigational beacons aren't just for boaters ya know ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
And pilings aren't just fancy things to hold up bridges either :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
middle_river.jpg Me as a kid at home on Middle River.

No not really; it's just that I've been doing this kind if thing since ~ 1971 11ish years old fishing Ramona's Pier in Edgewater. where I was first introduced to cats and carps and a bunch else as a kid, and now going on 60 I know more great Bay places to fish than I ever will have the chance in my lifetime. A good fisherman NEVER reveals their spots but I throw some bones around for the next generation, whom needs all the help they can get since old-school angling seems a bygone art and past time.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pat I spent many nights fishing Ramona's Pier in Edgewater - make that Edgemere. That was truly a great spot for cats and once in a while I'd catch hog choakers. I loved being able to have my gal jug filled with beer at the bar. So you grew up on Middle River. I own a slip at Bowley's Marina and spend most of my time fishing the upper bay.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yea, EdgeMERE...I worked for the County out of EdgeWATER (on the banks of the South River) for 11+ years; I work out of a Millersville Office now....Senior moment. Dad used to drop me off early morn and pick me up in the afternoon, with a bag lunch and enough $ for a drink and in case they came along collecting $ pier fee from the bar. Middle River and Dundalk next to Beth Steel...Crane Power Plant, Bear Creek, Dundee Creek (when you could walk across on the thick grass before they killed it)...fond early childhood memories of catfish, perch, spots and snapper blues, where I first heard about citation 30+ lb carp around there from the citations of Fishing in Maryland Annual and thought I hafta catch me some of those one day. Dad used to tell me stories of the bridge that connected to the island with the old recreation park that's part of Miller's Island Park now and him riding the railcars to Beth Steel down Dundalk Avenue and to the waterfront resort that is now North Point State Park. Retiring to Delmarva soon, is the entire peninsula to the Susky as a playground. The day 15 years ago that I began commuting over the Bay Bridge forever changed my mindset on Maryland fishing opportunities and a reality check on the incredible resource we have.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Are there flatheads there too? I've only caught them at Conowingo but maybe that's because they prefer faster moving water than other cats? I got more to learn about catfishing :)

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've never seen any flat heads caught there but the way they're spreading it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The way they are spreading should be any day now.

·
Registered
546 Posts
DNR Fisheries erected these last year; this is on the Chester River. On the Choptank, Tuckahoe (down there this AM...can't wait to hit the water), Corsica. Looks like a coming-out party...coming to a tidal river near you.

cats1.jpg

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm definitely not one of the guys that can quote the reg book, but I believe the Choptank River is one of those offlimits breeding grounds for stripers in the spring. It might have one of those crazy regs like if you lift a striper's tail out of the water your SOL (___ out of luck - fined).. Basically, someone better look into the date first. Stripers and cats will be feeding on any worms or bait fish tossed in the water :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Stripers...nuisance fish getting in the way of my cat and carp fishing.:cool:

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm definitely not one of the guys that can quote the reg book, but I believe the Choptank River is one of those offlimits breeding grounds for stripers in the spring. It might have one of those crazy regs like if you lift a striper's tail out of the water your SOL (___ out of luck - fined).. Basically, someone better look into the date first. Stripers and cats will be feeding on any worms or bait fish tossed in the water :)
That's exactly why I chose the date so we wouldn't be bothered with crowds of rock fishermen.:D This is a catfish tournament and any rock caught will be very carefully released using a pier net.;) Can you join us?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's exactly why I chose the date so we wouldn't be bothered with crowds of rock fishermen.:D This is a catfish tournament and any rock caught will be very carefully released using a pier net.;) Can you join us?
I have no pier net ... would coming to this event without one be a violation? :confused::eek:

41 - 60 of 73 Posts