Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a Pier fisherman and I have never really targeted Spots before.

I am going to be at the Fort this Sat/Sun looking for Blues and Reds, but I see they are running and just wonder if they can be caught in the Surf from the beach?

If so, how? What rig? What bait? How far out? etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for the info and I will file a report on my weekend:fishing:

·
Registered
91 Posts
YEP, they can be caught from the surf!

Best place for advice,......
go to the "fishing bible" thingy on the main page, click on that and find the post, "drum 101"
All the best advice from some of the experts.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEP, they can be caught from the surf!

Best place for advice,......
go to the "fishing bible" thingy on the main page, click on that and find the post, "drum 101"
All the best advice from some of the experts.
I mean "SPots" not Spot Tail Bass,,,lol:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I am not a Pier fisherman and I have never really targeted Spots before.

I am going to be at the Fort this Sat/Sun looking for Blues and Reds, but I see they are running and just wonder if they can be caught in the Surf from the beach?
If so, how? What rig? What bait? How far out? etc, etc.Thanks in advance for the info and I will file a report on my weekend:fishing:
I'm confused, as I believe sehguhll is.........your title is 'spots'...but you say you're looking for Blues and Reds and ask specifically about them.....sehguhll was simply answering your question.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Spots, two hook bottom rig, BWFB or the real blood worms,shrimp,squid and small cuts of mullet work.Toss out at different distances untill you find em and then hit that spot over and over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
spots in surf

fireline, i've found that bloodworms work best for spots on a high/low rig dont have to cast out too far for them

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ohhhh, I get it, most poeple don't want to catch "spots"

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Just use a bottom rig, and flicker snelled hooks # 6.
(gold, the silver don't work)

Bait'em with bloodworms/shrimp.
Fish Bites work, but you will catch fish (spots) 4/1 using real
bloodworms/shrimp. IMHO????? :cool:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've lived in NC all my 43 years and have always gone to NC and SC beaches. I'm new to this forum and I will show my ignorance and say, I could not figure why so many people reported on and targeted spot. All my years spot where the small pin fish caught from the pier "Sea bream" as fireline called them.

I had recently come to the conclusion y'all were talking about drum.

Thanks for clarifying;) Got a little chuckle from this post:D

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
when ever u see a to peir reeling bream0 size fish in, cast ur lien from the surf about 50 yards from the pier. use 2 hook bottom rig with long shank no. 4 hooks baited with bloodwrosm, squid, or shrimp(i don't think mullet is much use)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've lived in NC all my 43 years and have always gone to NC and SC beaches. I'm new to this forum and I will show my ignorance and say, I could not figure why so many people reported on and targeted spot. All my years spot where the small pin fish caught from the pier "Sea bream" as fireline called them.

I had recently come to the conclusion y'all were talking about drum.

Thanks for clarifying;) Got a little chuckle from this post:D
Racewire, you sound like you are still mixed up. When everyone here talks about fishing for Spots, they mean Spots, also called the Norfolk Spot. http://www.ncfisheries.net/fishfind/coastal7.htm

Not the pinfish, spot-tailed pinfish, pig fish, or spot-tails (red drum, channel bass, puppy drum, redfish).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fireline,

combine your sea mullet fishing knowledge and your pompano fishing knowledge and BOOM! you're a Spot fisherman.

Use the same baits, sometimes one is better than the other. 1. fresh bloodworms (or FBBW), 2. fresh shrimp, 3. sand crabs, 4. cut bait, 5. any other natural "sea" food.

Use the same two dropper rigs, generally spot hooks could be smaller. Long shank #6 or #4 are very popular.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Fireline,

combine your sea mullet fishing knowledge and your pompano fishing knowledge and BOOM! you're a Spot fisherman.

Use the same baits, sometimes one is better than the other. 1. fresh bloodworms (or FBBW), 2. fresh shrimp, 3. sand crabs, 4. cut bait, 5. any other natural "sea" food.

Use the same two dropper rigs, generally spot hooks could be smaller. Long shank #6 or #4 are very popular.

Good advice right there.
I usually find spots anywhere in the break zone to the first swell outside the breakers.

If you catch small ones, but them alive on a 6/0 or 8/0 circle hook and toss it into the closest slough. They're like crack to hungry redfish.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
quick question on an old thread: what do you do with larger spot (besides cut them for bait)? For that matter, what's the best way to fish them for bait (of course I'm north of you carolina folks...but we had a big influx of spot last year... our late season in southern nj will bring "southern" species up our way).

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
SPOT are delicious eating! :beer:

Spot usually have just one spot on each side, near the gill. :eek:

Spot can be caught with a dropper rig. :fishing:

Spot school up, just like Cdog said. ;)

And they are Spot, not spots. :D

One more thing, they make good drum bait...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts