Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound crazy (it did to me at first), but I'm thinking about having Galyans spool up my spinning reels from now on. They have a nice machine that does a much better job of laying the line on than I could ever do by hand. They don't really charge that much.

My question is will I get less line twist if it is professionally spooled than by doing it by hand? I was thinking yes but I thought the only reason is because they use large spools of line instead of the small ones I would get from the store.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
HuskyMD,for my 5500 I do get it spooled at th tackle shop. Just easier an I'm lazy. ;)

For my smaller spinners I spool em at home. One thing I have noticed is if I am spooling em an th line starts ta twist,I flip th spool over. Seems ta work for me.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
MD I think you are reffering to the lines memory, that is the coils that return to the shape of the spool they were stored on. Yes a larger spool will help with this problem, some monos have less memory than others, I think stren has a low memory line. Power Pro And Fire Line have almost no memory, if wind knots are a problem you might think about one of these.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have found out if you soak(submerge) your spools in water for 24 to 48 hrs. after you have them spooled and then shake the water out then dry them out there is no line twist,the line memory ahears(sp) to your spool, I'v been doing this for years with no problems(spinnig reels).

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Husky,

Remember, you put line differently on a spinning reel than you do with a conventional reel. On a conventional reel, you just put a pencil through the spool, lay it on something to put tension on it, and reel in the line. The line will come off the spool straight to the reel as you crank.

The most important thing to remember about putting line on a spinning reel is that the line must come off the spool (new line supply) in the same direction as the reel to be spooled is turning. If the line coming off the spool with the line supply comes off in a clockwise direction, then the reel to be spooled must be turning in the a clockwise direction.

Most people put line on spinning reels the same way they put line on conventional reels, which is wrong, and they end up twisting all their line. This causes kinks and weakens the line. :(

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that must be what I did, cause after using the reel twice, I looked at the spool and the line is all twisted up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sandcrab,

Lay the new line (spool) flat, do not "pencil" it. Follow Husky's left and right scenario.

Macman

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Also with spinning reels, the line will naturally twist a little everytime you engage the bail. So after time, the more casts, more twist. When I get home from a trip, I will walk out the amount of line that is used in casting, take a small piece of inner tube, and fold it over the line (a helper is easier), then gentle squeeze as I reel the line back in. Works great for me, now I only use mono, so don't know how you would deal with braid.

·
Registered
348 Posts
last summer one of my freshwater spinning rod had a big problem with line twist, i had gotten it spooled up at gander mountain by a guy who did not really seem to know what he was doing, i had never had a problem with that before but it was also the first time i had gotten a reel spooled up at a store. Hmmmm......

mystery solved.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have two spinning setups --the 9' and the 10.5' TICA rods teamed with Fin Nor spinning reels.
But I am partial to casting reels.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You could work very hard to get the line on with no twist at all however the first time that you have a fish on that takes drag it will twist the line. Your best bet is to use a good swivel. With a lure use about a foot of leader (20-30lb. for rock, trout etc., 60 or 80 for toothy blues and such) from the swivel to the lure. It also gives you something to grab.
Following the rules brings good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts