Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Right up to the spinning edge of the spool. But not too close as line could get jammed in spool edge. Also keep in mind that you have a shock leader and knot also.
First trip out and it will blow up and adjust if too much line.

Capt Mike

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
In case you did not know, when spooling a conventional or bait casting reel, the line coming off the spool needs to come of the top of the spool vice the bottom of the spool...

Text Font Circle Logo Symbol
Text Font Circle Logo Symbol

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Because the line wll have memory in one direction and keeping that memory in the same direction on your reel spool will lay better and be less prone to blow up on your first couple casts. Once you sufficiently streched the line and worked the memory out it will be fine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just remember, the more narrow the spool, the easier it is to cast preventing bird nests as pictured above.

A 15 series conventional spooled w/ 30 or 40# braid is the ticket....w/ no memory issues. A 30 or 40 series is too wide unless your expert.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Just remember, the more narrow the spool, the easier it is to cast preventing bird nests as pictured above.

A 15 series conventional spooled w/ 30 or 40# braid is the ticket....w/ no memory issues. A 30 or 40 series is too wide unless your expert.
i use 15 lb big game on mine. Started with 20lb bps mono while getting the hang of things.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I suppose, but I am not sure I buy it.
That's the thing about this site, you don't have to buy anything.....;)

It's all free information.

I also put the spool in a bucket of warm water to relax the line when I spool my reels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts