Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help learning the "proper" way to cast a heavy Spinning Rod from th surf.all the info I find is for Baitcasters. Please don't try to convert me, baitcasting reels just p*ss me off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Reddrum,

Please give us a little more information. If you tell the make and model of your gear you will get better answers. 95% of my fishing is with spinning reels so I promise out to try and convert you. However, bet the peolpe on this board can also fix your baitcaster problem in a snack.

1. What's the technique question?
2. What happens when you use a baitcater?

Fell free to contact directly if you wish. However, if you post it here it may also help someone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 11'Pinnacle Rod (Some call it a log)with a Daiwa "Slosh" 30. I've had it 2 years.The farthest I can cast it is 300', and thats on a good day. Ive also tried bass fishing w/a baitcaster and the only thing I've gotten good at is getting out backlashes. I've been fishing all my life w/spinning tackle, and I just can't get comfortable w/the baitcasters.
Yesterday I bought a 12' Tica and a Shimano 6500B spinning reel. I know how too cast a spinning rod, but Ive not had much experience w/one this big. I took it to the park and was able to cast it 300' using the "Beach" cast (w/the weight and about 4' of line starting behind me on the ground). My question is..Is there a better way?
I didnt have much problem w/backlashes w/ the slosh(its a nice reel). I simply could not get comfortable w/it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Also, are there any physics majors out there that can explain how the heck a backlash can go so deep into the reel :confused:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Two things;
No.1, Go to Hatteras Outfitters web site and order one of the "Connons" from Break Away Tackle. If you are throwing heavy weights with a spinner the Cannon will help a lot. Basically it is a release device that hold the line and act as a trigger. Check it out.
No.2; This my sound too basic but try it. Stand facing the water, hold the rod with the reel facing the sky, put your right hand on your on your right shoulder, with the rod butt in your left hand hold it almost straight up. Now, don't swing anything, or jump, or any other such thing. Simply push your right hand up and out at a 45 degree angle while pulling your left hand down and to your belt. Like I said it sounds too simple, practice this and you WILL cast further then you have ever before. This method loads the rod better than any other, and afterall, if you do not load the rod and use the force you build in it, you might as well be throwing a stick.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Reddrum,

You need to start the cast slow and increase the speed until the release. This will allow you to feel the rod and store power in the blank prior to the release. In other words, let the rod do the work.

Understanding a backlash is easy. Once the line tangles and stops moving the reel is still spinning under it. As long as the spool is spinning it is feeding line under the original tangle and making a bigger mess. The solution is also simply; tame the reel. The Slosh 30 is an excellent reel. You can start by adding larger brake blocks to slow it down. If you are still having a problem, you can fill the bearings with heavy oil. You can get enough from discarded bottles at you local oil changing station. You only need a few drops. Most people don't need more than a 50 weight oil to get it under control. I normally start with a 30 weight and work my way up. If you listen to the reel, you will know when to stop it with your thumb. You will hear the spool’s speed increase as the sinker starts to fall. As soon as the sinker touches the water your thumb needs to stop the spool. You should be able to cast as hard as you want without a backlash while the sinker is in flight.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wilber,

When using a "cannon" what's the ratio line test to wieght being tossed. Here's a problem I'm having. On a custom 9.5' rod, rated for 2-5 oz. I'm throwing 2 + plastic oz jigs with 20 lb power pro. The line either brakes at the lure,cannon, or first eye when I go all out.
tx,tw

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi "tw",
First check to make sure that your rod guides are not nicked or damaged. Second check your line to make sure it is not chafed or abraded. Correct these conditons if they exist and check at regular intervals. If no problem exists here then use a higher breaking shock leader.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey TW,
You got a problem somewhere, and I don't know what it is. I throw 15lb. Power Pro on my 11ft. Interline and have not broken off on the cast throwing 4oz. Try to load the road SMOOTH, ie; not a whip cast. If you are breaking 20lb. PowerPro, which breaks at 32lbs., with a 9ftr. there is a problem somewhere.
PS check your knots, PowerPro is very slippery. I use a modified clinch knot, works for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be putting it to use next week at "The Point" in Buxton NC. I've caught several cobia from boats and I'm determined to catch one in the surf.If you're down there and see a white Ford truck w/license plate BOWHNTS stop by and say hello(I always have Beer!)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
And of course you are using the right shock leader to protect those around you...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts