Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a solid spinning reel to use in the surf for mainly throwing lures, maybe a little light bottom fishing. I've read a bunch of stuff online, but the best advice comes from folks in the know. Anybody have a recommendation?

Its going on a pretty stiff 7 foot rod, probably with 12 # or so ... Any advice or any advice on what to stay away from would be appreciated. Obviously price is a consideration, but I'm looking for something pretty solid.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
My new Trout lure reel came yesterday. The Abu Soron 20. Smooth snail snot and comes with 1 spool for braid and one for mono.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Look on ebay... there is one company selling at closeout the Quantum Pulse reel in sizes 30 and 40. I have bought several because the price is sweet and the reel is all metal and super smooth. Mag bail release (very smooth), this Pulse is very similar to the feel of the Boca. This is bulk so no box and no spare spool.

If you are in a hurry you can buy it now and pay about $26 shipped. If you are patient you can catch a low dollar auction end and get them for about $18 shipped, which is what I have done.

Super reel for that kind of $$$. The 30 size is right to a 7' rod, unless you have a real heavy stick, then I'd go 40.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
On a light tackle 7' rod, I like a smaller reel.

Try 14lb Fireline on either:

1) Stradic 2500FI. My favorite reel in this price class.
2) Saros 2500F. The best in this price class, too.
3) Daiwa SS1300. This is a great, time tested and proven reel. No IAR, but who cares. The reel is light, has a great drag and will take a beating. It casts better than those expensive, fancy Shimanos, too.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Penn Slammer or Spinfisher both are nice. If you need a solid one for under 50 bucks new, check out the Cabela's Salt Striker 20 or 30. I was impressed with it. I have one for tossing 1 oz and less Gotchas and light other jigs. For metal I step up to a 5500 on a 6'6" fairly heavy rod.

·
Registered
495 Posts
On a light tackle 7' rod, I like a smaller reel.
QFT

i use 20lb PP on my little cardinal. idk what model it is, im too lazy to identify it. picked it up for $15 from a rinky dink shop MANY years ago and its done nothing but delivered. striper, trout and reds give it most of its use, but over the years its also seen many snapper, cudas, and even mahi mahi down in the keys. pictures to prove it too. =P it performs, no doubt. cant go wrong with abu. hell, it matches perfectly to a cheapo ($12) 7' shakespear from walmart. i forget exactly what model. but i LOVE that rod for light tackle.

stradic or anything from penn, also a great choice.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Okuma Epixor 45A. hands down..price and performance
I have been fishing an Okuma Epixor EF-55a for about three years now. It is still very smooth and a very solid reel.

Sports Authority has them on sale and I may pick up an EF-45a and maybe a smaller one as well.

The Epixors are very nice reels at any price.

The cheaper Avengers, not so much...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't belive no one is using the Team Daiwa Advantage. I have 3 of them. the 2000 on a trout rod, 3500 on a 9' Tica, great for metal, 4500 on a 10'6 custom. They are right in line with the stradic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.