Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, primarily a conventional reel guy here. However, I recently got an 11' St Croix Ben Doerr spinning rod. This is an older rod as St Croix no longer has the Ben Doerr series. It is only rated for like 2-4 ounces, so my primary use would be for tossing metal into the surf at the ocean. Now that you know my purpose, my budget is between $60 and $100. Please recommend a spinning reel for this application and a brief explanation why you think that particular reel is a good choice.

I have a couple in mind, but want to be completely open here.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome...I would think any medium size spinning reel would do..A large spinning reel will get heavy casting spoons etc. I'm sure you will get more replies but wanted to start the conversation:fishing:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think a daiwa emblem would fit nicely on that rod. They might be a bit heavy for slinging metal but you would get some nice distance. You can probably find a used one for about $100.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Trevor, get a 5000 size reel i use the stradic 5000 for this and just fill it with 20-30lb braid and your good to go. i hate nothing more than tossing metal with a bulky heavy reel, and lets be honest the fish around our area are kinda weak in pulling so i see no need for a big reel

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
try a penn sargus 5000, or a shimano spheros 6000fa (not the fb), you can get both in that price range and the are good:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
as a person who likes light reels [back surgery] on 132-1 ron arra
i use a okuma epixor 55 sa [6.3.1] at 16 oz for the money about $65
good reel as trial reel until u decide what u really want

paul
:fishing:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts