Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a spinning reel to pair with a 10ft 1-3.5oz rod I'm planning to use for throwing metal for spanish/blues, and rigs on occasion. Thoughts on long cast spools? Would a live liner be of any benefit when throwing rigs?

I'm finally stepping out from the big box store surf combos and the "anything that bites" mindset

·
Registered
51 Posts
Any quality Penn, Diawa, or Shimano in the 3000-4000 size will do: 12 lb mono or 20 lb braid range. Live liner may provide more use, but i never felt the need. I just set my drag appropriately if i spike it. I use a Diawa BG 4000 for this need. Super smooth. Always rinse with fresh water after fishing and they last a lot longer. The caster is more important than the long spool IMO.😉

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would go with a smaller long cast reel if it was me!
A lot of it depends on how much distance you really need to get to reach the fish and type of currents your fishing.
If your fishing in the area where the fish aren’t that far out and currents not ripping then you could use one of the small reels mentioned above.
But I will warn you, you’ll wish you weren’t using one of those little reels if you tie into something nice!
You won’t catch me with a 3000-4000 size reel on a 10 foot rod, not enough capacity for me!
For years I just used a regular spinning reel for plugging on the beach until an old salt walked up next to me with a smaller long cast reel.
Although he wasn’t really looking for a lot distance, he was casting a lot further than I was, but with minimal effort.
I went right out and purchased a Daiwa emblem!
I just couldn’t believe how much it changed things up!
No more killing yourself trying to punch a lure into the wind with little distance.
Plenty of line capacity and higher retrieve rate if needed for the speedy fish lol.
Also the long cast reels usually have a higher retrieve rate for when you do decide to bait fish, which is also a plus.
Nothing worse than using a reel with a low retrieve late while bait fishing in my opinion, especially if there’s any kind of snot on the line!
I think if you get yourself a smaller long cast spinner you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

EA

·
Registered
37 Posts
You won’t catch me with a 3000-4000 size reel on a 10 foot rod, not enough capacity for me!

EA
I agree.A reel of that size is woefully undersized for a 10ft rod when throwing plugs/spoons in the higher end of the range that the OP wants to throw.I'd be looking more into something in the 8000 range especially when it comes to higher end reels as the better reels are fairly lite in comparison to similar sized budget reels.

If I had to make a single recommendation when it comes to quality/price it would be a Shimano Spheros 6000-8000 leaning towards the 8000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
10' 1-3.5oz is a M rate. The handle length will effect the balance. That rating is more towards artifical then chunking / baitnwait.

IMO 4000 -5000 depending on series is usually about ideal. Plenty of 10x rods even with same lure rating balance and will weigh out differently.

If you find yourself tip heavy add a bit of weight to the butt end fixes that more efficiently and with least amount of total weight added to combo vs a heavier reel.

I did not see where a price range was mentioned for the reel as again their weights can vary. My Certate LT 5kD is a couple tics over 10oz. A Daiwa Bg4k is 16oz? and a Penn Slammer 4 4.5k 15oz. My Certate SW 6k is 13.6oz and 6k Saragosa swa 16oz..

If you want a reel with more line capacity than say a 3-4k but want to keep the weight down and not get into $300-$400 + reels The Stradic FL C5000 weights around 10.4oz (4k body 5k spool) and hold 250y 30lb braid 24lb very good drag and 40in line/rev.. IMO in their price bracket the Stradic FL and Saragosa SWA are best buys. I have both and am very happy with both. If your looking for a lower $ bracket the BG [email protected] or the BG [email protected] are solid choices with a long history.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts